Help with sizing of pants + knee guards

boon

Hi everyone!

I apologize if this is the wrong spot to post this.

For some context, I'm looking at purchasing new gear in the coming months. I'm drawn heavily toward the PX3 pads, and was wondering if anyone has experience moving from a soft pad (I currently have some old Reebok Sr 9Ks [34 + 1]) to a stiff one like the PX3 with relation to their pants and knee guard sizing.

I tried on a Bauer large pro pant, along with some Warrior Pro+ guards and the PX3s (in 33 + 1.5). For reference, I'm 5'11", ~170 lbs

My mobility felt fine, though I had a couple potential issues when performing butterflys on the store carpet, and was hoping for some insight.

Sometimes the outer edges of the pant thigh would clip on top of the pad. Also, when getting up from the butterfly, it kind of felt like the knee guards / pant thighs were fighting for position against the PX3 knee block in some fashion. It didn't necessarily impair my mobility, but it did give me a sort of clunky feeling. Is this something that you guys experience at all?

Is this just due to the pad stiffness? Should I go for a medium pant instead? Medium fits a lot closer to my current Brian's DX2 pant, but I'd like to go as large as I can for the extra coverage, without sacrificing mobility.

I could also have put on the FRS (inner leg channel strapping) way too tight, causing the pad to jockey for position against my knee guards - does anyone with PX3 pads have advice for the proper way to strap them for the optimal comfort level?

Edited by boon

I am 5'10 165lbs and I am in Bauer pro pants size med, with ccm pro knees. 

Set up I wear the knees under pro socks (no knit) with tape so they stay in place and the sock keeps any flaps from the knee from catching on the pant or pad. 

The pants rest a little bit above the knee block and down it the butterfly they seal well movement is mostly free and nothing hangs. I also tuck the chesty with suspenders and a skate lace tied under the sternum guard that is the lace from the pants if that makes sense. 

I would ask how you wear your knee guards over or under a sock, and how loose do you wear your brain's pants. 

The reason I went with Bauers over newer Vaughn pants is the Bauers have a more square leg barrel than the newer Vaughn v9's ( not sure about v10 barrel size or shape yet) which was more nhl spec or rounded over the thigh. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, turbototts said:

I would ask how you wear your knee guards over or under a sock, and how loose do you wear your brain's pants.

I don't wear a sock over my knee guards, but I plan on doing so moving forward. My Brian's pants are relatively tight, but that's only because they're quite small on me.

I have a game tonight so I'm going to pay extra attention to how my pants fit and move about, keeping in mind how the Bauer pants fit me when I tried them on earlier this week.

These pads will also be my first without a boot strap, but when I tried them on at the store it didn't seem like it would be hard to get used to. I'm excited to be able to have such a tight seal on the ice!

Sometimes the outer edges of the pant thigh would clip on top of the pad.  Also, when getting up from the butterfly, it kind of felt like the knee guards / pant thighs were fighting for position against the PX3 knee block in some fashion. It didn't necessarily impair my mobility, but it did give me a sort of clunky feeling. Is this something that you guys experience at all?

"top of the pad" meaning the thigh rise or the outer gusset while in butterfly?

More pictures would help.  How the Px3s were configured at the knee for this floor model may help or hinder rotation

Also possible some pieces of the knee pad were impeding movement

But my first impression is that the pants you tried on were either too long, worn too low, or possible technique issue

Is this just due to the pad stiffness? Should I go for a medium pant instead? Medium fits a lot closer to my current Brian's DX2 pant, but I'd like to go as large as I can for the extra coverage, without sacrificing mobility.

You can look at getting a custom pant.  L or XL waist with Medium length

5 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

"top of the pad" meaning the thigh rise or the outer gusset while in butterfly?

More pictures would help.  How the Px3s were configured at the knee for this floor model may help or hinder rotation

Also possible some pieces of the knee pad were impeding movement

But my first impression is that the pants you tried on were either too long, worn too low, or possible technique issue

You can look at getting a custom pant.  L or XL waist with Medium length

Top of the pad meaning the outer side when in butterfly. The PX3s in store had the knee block with the nylon calf strap, as well as the removable elastic knee strap.

I plan on heading back to TGC to try them on with a few different configurations of pant and knee guard. I'll make sure to take some pictures and video when I go.

I did have the FRS a little too tight when I was trying them out, so that could have played a role in the clunky feeling I was getting.

I'll definitely look into the custom pant order, thanks for the tip!