Best beginner mask

I am getting by in practices with a used no name mask, but I was told that I need a certified cage when the season starts. I need a whole new mask. My budget is $500. I know I can't get a great mask for that amount of money, but something has to be there in that price point. I play JV high school hockey if that helps with your recommendations. 

On 10/29/2023 at 5:56 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

The Bauer 940 is a phenomenal helmet that comes in at $400. If that doesn't fit quite right warrior has the F2 E+ and F1 Sr+

I second the Warrior mask. I have a F1 Sr+ and it has been a great mask.  Two years of use and it’s taken several decent shots with no issue.  A little of the immediate ring in the ear on some of the harder ones, but nothing that lasted more than a couple seconds.  Took an absolute bomb right to the forehead a few weeks back and was totally fine and mask was, too.  The 940/950/960 Bauer’s aren’t quite a perfect fit for my round face, but the Warrior fits me to a T.  

• Thanks 1

Make sure it fits snugly but not tightly (if that makes sense) around your forehead and cheeks.   Fit is more important than just about anything with a mask and you'd do better in a "lower grade" mask that fits properly than a top of the line mask that doesn't.   Mask and skates are 2 items I would say are impossible to get right without a proper fitting unless you end up getting really lucky.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@ThatCarGuy @sescaro I have used the Warrior mask in practice and I love it. My no name mask was good, but this fit just right and I already took a bomb off my head LOL Beaner clocked me good, but I shook it off and took more shots.

Wrapping this puppy in school colors and riding the pine tomorrow. The starter got his job back but I play Monday.

• Like 1