Swollen Knees & Pain

Hello! I've been playing hockey as a forward for 30 years with no issues. I just started playing goalie a couple of months back (1 game a week) and have been okay for the first few games. However, my knees get swollen and are quite painful after each game now. I am 52 and am very active (e.g. do squats everyday). However, after each game, it takes me a lot of warm up before I can squat again. Icing and elevation helps and it takes about 4 days to recover. I wear goalie Bauer 2.7X pads, knee protectors and also G-Form knee pads. Some fellow goalies say that it will just take time to adjust but I'm wondering if this is normal. Anyone else have this experience? Thank you.

I dont have swelling per se but my knees were really sore the last couple weeks, but ive only done about 3 stick time sessions so far. I thought i was straining my knee (basically only my left one that hurt) but there wasnt any pain after the last session. Im thinking its unused muscles getting into shape.

• Like 1

Hello @degoalie:

Being in net involves a whole different set of movements and torques on the joints than playing out. Best guess, assuming you're medically uninjured, is your body is getting acclimated to the new movements. Pretty courageous of you to switch into net at 52. Might want to see the Dr to rule out a medical issue. Hopefully, you're uninjured but best to get it confirmed. If so, you might consider stretching much more often. Good luck!

• Like 1