Play for new team with old mask design

How do you feel about goalies using mask designs from their old teams with their new one? Anders Lindbäck has been sporting both his Milwaukee Admirals and his Nashville Predators mask this season while playing for HC Davos in Switzerland's highest professional league, the National League.

Now I'm not of the most superstitious type - but HC Davos has had an awful season, way below their usual standards. Getting your mask design up to date would at least show some extra commitment to your current team? It's been around four months since his arrival in Davos.

Lindback Davos 1.jpg

Lindback Davos 2.jpg

Lindback Davos 3.jpg

I'd say its down to the equipment manager / team budget / type of deal he's on more than anything. From what I remember wasn't he brought in by Davos with the season already underway, because Davos had two young guys in net? If he's on a one year deal just to fill in whilst the kids get some experience the team might be reluctant to pay €1500-€2000 on a new mask plus paint. 

In the KHL Lars Johansson had his Rockford / Blackhawks mask for all of last season for CSKA, whereas his countryman Markus Svensson had thee different masks in his first year at Spartak - all depends on how the team manages the equipment budget.

EDIT: I also suspect that some guys also like to wear their masks from 'the show' as long as possible as a badge of pride that they were there  😆

It's not like the masks/gear are way off the team's color scheme.  I might feel differently if he were rocking some red or green pads, but what he's doing looks ok to me.  Especially when you factor in all the tacky advertisements they toss on every conceivable surface in European leagues.  

32 minutes ago, raucebyalien said:

I'd say its down to the equipment manager / team budget / type of deal he's on more than anything. From what I remember wasn't he brought in by Davos with the season already underway, because Davos had two young guys in net? If he's on a one year deal just to fill in whilst the kids get some experience the team might be reluctant to pay €1500-€2000 on a new mask plus paint. 

In the KHL Lars Johansson had his Rockford / Blackhawks mask for all of last season for CSKA, whereas his countryman Markus Svensson had thee different masks in his first year at Spartak - all depends on how the team manages the equipment budget.

EDIT: I also suspect that some guys also like to wear their masks from 'the show' as long as possible as a badge of pride that they were there  😆

Do teams actually pay for a goalie's mask designs? I assumed that paint jobs have to be covered by the goalie as they are personal and "just for fun". Anyway, they could at least get him a new white mask and leave it blank or slap some stickers onto it. Not asking him to paint over his current design, of course. 

Lindbäck arrived in time to be the starting goaltender for the first game of the season. But based on his bad performance with Davos so far, the mask is the only indication that he had once played in a higher league before. So not really a badge of pride he can live up to.

26 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

It's not like the masks/gear are way off the team's color scheme.  I might feel differently if he were rocking some red or green pads, but what he's doing looks ok to me.  Especially when you factor in all the tacky advertisements they toss on every conceivable surface in European leagues.  

Not so much in Switzerland, fortunately. Blockers are the only piece of goalie equipment that is usually covered by ads. Small stickers on a mask, occasionally.

I count 13 advertisements on the sweaters/pants of the Davos team, and can't even see the entire uni.   You're right, it's not as bad as the awful stickers they put on leg pads in some leagues, but it's still a horrendous, ghastly mess to me.  I dread the day Bettman decides this is the next way for him increase NHL revenues (and don't kid yourselves, it's coming).

With all of that said, as a beer leaguer and occasional hypocritical sellout, if either of the companies that sponsor the teams I play for wanted to pop for a new high end mask and some custom paint I'd rock an Apeks Supercritical or Dawson Insurance logo all day every day (assuming I had a little input on the design of course).

Archived