What you need if you have an ostomy to play goal safely

bunnyman666

As promised, I will show what I did to ensure that I could play goal with an ostomy. 

First of all, I bought an ostomy protector  rated for ice hockey. There are several on the market. What you are looking for is something that fits the flange of your ostomy bag closely. There is one brand that is VERY expensive; it looks to be a FINE product, no doubt! But I bought a Stomaplex ATX. Stomaplex also makes a great product called the “Equalizer”, which applies even pressure on the inner part of the wafer, which makes the wafer stick better and longer.

I ended up using a neoprene/lycra “weight loss” belt that Dennis Dombrowski at Factory Mad modded for me. He tapered it in so that the belt would not impede the flow of the output. Output staying at the top of the flange will certainly cause adhesive lift, not to mention the soreness that the output can do to your peristomal skin.

0466B0CB-0287-4A42-8A65-CADFAC3F7637.jpeg

I played several small games with the above set up, but when I started on the drop in that featured every player from bender to ex-NHL-er, I upped the game.

Keep your thigh boards around. Keep all the bits and bobs. Find where your stoma ends up in your breezers, and sew a thigh board to the breezers. 9/10 times, your stoma end up where the flaps are on the front. I used an old Maltese knee flap and anchored mine to where my stoma is behind the breezers.

1F9A5E50-75D4-4D12-BFC9-627C4AAB9A86.jpeg

8 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Well this definitely wins the award for most unique modification I've ever seen.

We’re probably talking a finite percentage of goalies. It’s funny how many hockey players on my Instagram reached out and told me their stories on their ostomy! But it is here for the next person who may need this info. I am hoping that I am the only ostomate to play goal, frankly! But as I have found- you really don’t know how close you could be to having this surgery to save your life!

Truth be told, I probably would have modded my goal jock to incorporate my ostomy guard. But I knew that I wasn’t going to have this forever, so the jock was left intact.

• 1 year later...

Awesome to see other goalies and their mods. I’m going to try my stealth belt pro under my gear with a stomaguard inside the belt. Hoping that will be sufficient. Good to see other tenders continuing to play with their ostomy

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

Awesome to see other goalies and their mods. I’m going to try my stealth belt pro under my gear with a stomaguard inside the belt. Hoping that will be sufficient. Good to see other tenders continuing to play with their ostomy

My buddy had an ostomy for a year and played hockey most the time. Guys like you and him are my heroes and shows I ain’t got no excuse for not playing. 

Archived