3s Rotation Issues

CantThinkofaName

I just bought a pair of 3s pads and for some reason when I recover from my butterfly the pads don't rotate back. What I mean is that they flare out to the side after I get up from my butterfly. So far what seemed to help is when I make my pad incredibly loose but I prefer my pads to be slightly tighter. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

2 things in my humble opinion...

1. They are meant to be worn sorta loose. By no means should they feel like they're falling off your leg... but loose will promote more rotation with the strapping system. Worth trying to play with where you attach the Tune Fit as well. I found on my 2X Pro that I could get it to be loose enough to rotate well... yet tight enough on my shin to give me that feel and responsiveness.

2. Toe ties. I ended up removing the stock toe ties... inserting some HD foam in the toe tie attachment to make it more firm (less play/flex)... and using some hybrid Pro Laces. Gave enough to not pull on my ankles... but taught enough to pull the pad back in place.

16 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

2 things in my humble opinion...

1. They are meant to be worn sorta loose. By no means should they feel like they're falling off your leg... but loose will promote more rotation with the strapping system. Worth trying to play with where you attach the Tune Fit as well. I found on my 2X Pro that I could get it to be loose enough to rotate well... yet tight enough on my shin to give me that feel and responsiveness.

2. Toe ties. I ended up removing the stock toe ties... inserting some HD foam in the toe tie attachment to make it more firm (less play/flex)... and using some hybrid Pro Laces. Gave enough to not pull on my ankles... but taught enough to pull the pad back in place.

So what I've done is I took the tune fit strap(?) I think it's what it's called (the v shaped strap on the calf) and just turned it into one long strap. I felt it was part of the reason the pad wasn't rotating properly because it seemed pretty tight.

Also, could the placement of the toe ties affect it? Normally I go through the toe and then through the middle of the skate but I found that to be too loose. After a few up and downs the Velcro was falling towards the edge of the toes on my skate. So I tried putting it through the toe and then through the heel of my skates and it's is a lot tighter which is how I like my toe ties.

31 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I would second this. On my 2X, I glued down the Toe bridge, because I would it too flexible.

With US, I have my TGN Spec pro laces set up loose like the Hybrid style.

I would wear the pads a tad looser and and play with the toe ties and toe bridge. You'd be shocked what a difference the toe makes.

56 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I would second this. On my 2X, I glued down the Toe bridge, because I would it too flexible.

With US, I have my TGN Spec pro laces set up loose like the Hybrid style.

I would wear the pads a tad looser and and play with the toe ties and toe bridge. You'd be shocked what a difference the toe makes.

Currently I am wearing eflexes so do you think if I was able to take out the foam in the toe and put it in the toe on my 3s it would possibly help? I wear my ef 4s without a bootstrap too and they rotate perfectly

16 hours ago, CantThinkofaName said:

Currently I am wearing eflexes so do you think if I was able to take out the foam in the toe and put it in the toe on my 3s it would possibly help? I wear my ef 4s without a bootstrap too and they rotate perfectly

That's what @BadAngle41 did

What toe ties are you using with 3S?

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

That's what @BadAngle41 did

What toe ties are you using with 3S?

I'm using the stock bungie chord that comes with the pad. I put a foam into the toe and it helped a little bit but didn't make a big difference. I was thinking about trying Jesper Wallstedt's strap set up so I was gonna throw on the CRS bootstrap and take out the Tune Fit strap. However he doesn't have an offset toe so I don't know if that will make a difference. Do you think the offset toe that comes stock is causing an issue? 

1 hour ago, CantThinkofaName said:

I'm using the stock bungie chord that comes with the pad. I put a foam into the toe and it helped a little bit but didn't make a big difference. I was thinking about trying Jesper Wallstedt's strap set up so I was gonna throw on the CRS bootstrap and take out the Tune Fit strap. However he doesn't have an offset toe so I don't know if that will make a difference. Do you think the offset toe that comes stock is causing an issue? 

I think the Bauer Bungies don't work well either. Maybe try a skate lace?

2 hours ago, CantThinkofaName said:

Offset toe shouldn't affect rotation. 
Every pad on the market these days is designed to square up in the butterfly and rotate back around the leg when you recover.

IMO this is an issue with your toe ties being too loose, or getting caught on some part of your skates, or maybe even both.
I have only seen this issue pop up when there is nothing to center the pad back on your foot.

Can you take a picture of how you are attaching your pads to your skates?

7 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Offset toe shouldn't affect rotation. 
Every pad on the market these days is designed to square up in the butterfly and rotate back around the leg when you recover.

IMO this is an issue with your toe ties being too loose, or getting caught on some part of your skates, or maybe even both.
I have only seen this issue pop up when there is nothing to center the pad back on your foot.

Can you take a picture of how you are attaching your pads to your skates?

So i just switched my ccm bungies with my Bauer ones because the ccm don't extend as much like the Bauer ones. I cross through the toe and then I cross again through the middle of my skate. I noticed they were a little bit better actually. It feels like the issue is that there is nothing that is pulling the pad all the way back into place. I tried it with the CRS bootstrap but I couldn't tell if it made a difference. I'm strapping the knee very loose and the calf very loose if that makes a difference as well.

12 hours ago, CantThinkofaName said:

So i just switched my ccm bungies with my Bauer ones because the ccm don't extend as much like the Bauer ones. I cross through the toe and then I cross again through the middle of my skate. I noticed they were a little bit better actually. It feels like the issue is that there is nothing that is pulling the pad all the way back into place. I tried it with the CRS bootstrap but I couldn't tell if it made a difference. I'm strapping the knee very loose and the calf very loose if that makes a difference as well.

Nice!! I do think taking out the play (flimsy flex) out of the stock toe bridge either by putting in some HD foam or gluing like @TheGoalNet did helps... when combined with some stronger cord on the toe ties (one of the reasons I use ProLaces) you should get the snap back you're looking for. I've found Hybrid w/ 1.5" slack works well for me... snaps back but doesn't put excessive pressure on my toes when down... but TGN spec gives you flexibility to dial it in on your own.

As for the TuneFit... I kept mine a loop... so attached to the inner calf wrap in 2 places and the slider attaching to the outer calf wrap. Locating it up or down the outer wrap changes the feel and tension on the leg.

13 hours ago, CantThinkofaName said:

I think with the Bauer pads you either need to embrace a loose toe, traditional skate lace slack or Pro Laces Hyrbrid, or you need to mod the pad to stiffen the toe bridge

Archived