Mounting holes

First off, I would say if the cage is that far off, you may not have the proper cage.

Having said that, I would suggest you modify the cage mount tabs, NOT the mask. Increasing hole size by drilling or filing the mask may weaken the composite at those points. Especially since the cage transfers all the shock to the mask through these points, I wouldn’t touch them. In addition, in the future if you purchase a different cage, you could end up with the same problem, but in a different direction (offset) requiring you to open up the hole more – not good. To be clear, I am talking about the tab as shown below...

image.png.3c4bb13a52916eca7533f8bac29fc9d4.png

I would either drill out the tabs, file them or, better yet, try and make/purchase some custom tabs. You may find there are (stock) tabs of different geometry that would help. Making some custom ones would probably get you the best fit as well as look a lot better than sloppy obround holes or jagged slots.

5 hours ago, Colander said:

First off, I would say if the cage is that far off, you may not have the proper cage.

Having said that, I would suggest you modify the cage mount tabs, NOT the mask. Increasing hole size by drilling or filing the mask may weaken the composite at those points. Especially since the cage transfers all the shock to the mask through these points, I wouldn’t touch them. In addition, in the future if you purchase a different cage, you could end up with the same problem, but in a different direction (offset) requiring you to open up the hole more – not good. To be clear, I am talking about the tab as shown below...

image.png.3c4bb13a52916eca7533f8bac29fc9d4.png

I would either drill out the tabs, file them or, better yet, try and make/purchase some custom tabs. You may find there are (stock) tabs of different geometry that would help. Making some custom ones would probably get you the best fit as well as look a lot better than sloppy obround holes or jagged slots.

Agreed on all points...

Just want to illustrate with a story.

My friend had a Sportmask T3 out for paint several years ago. 
The painter lost the cage, so she decided to drill new holes and mount a cage that was not designed for the shell.
The cage ended up being too wide - this not only changed the fit of the mask, but also caused a clear vertical stress line down the center of the mask.

Not sure if he still has this $1k+ paperweight sitting around...

Agree with the advice to see if there is a way to make it work with modified clips.  I had a similar issue when I swapped a Cheater cage for my old dented straight bar on my Eddy.  Thought I was SOL, but supplier of cage came up with modified clips to make it work just fine.

Have taken a couple pucks to the cage since installing this cage, and Zero issues with the mounting, or cage denting for that matter.

IMG_1487.JPG

Archived