Refoam Itech 961 vs New Bauer 960 (NC)?

Hi all,

First time poster. Rec league goalie (men's A/B) and usually get plenty of shots from former Junior/college types who can still rip it.  I'm also a small goalie (5'8" on skates) and take a lot of headshots as a result. Probably replaced three or four cages in the last few years. 

I have an Itech 961 that I bought new in 2006. It has been an absolute tank.  Shell is still good, no visible chips/cracks. I installed the Maltese kit a couple years ago and the foam is still in good shape.  

That said, I almost hadn't realized how old the Itech is, and wasn't sure if there's a recommended "replace after X years" rule with masks.  I don't if the best thing is to leave it as is, install new EcoPro Foam kit in the Itech, or just buy the new Bauer 960 (2020) and keep the old warhorse as a backup.  I have had a couple of  concussions in the past (two from competing horses, one from getting drilled in the crease by dman and opposing player) and want to be conservative on the head protection.  Both options seem reasonable, I just can't decide what the right one is.

Regarding the new Bauer 960, I'm right between the med/large sizes (57.5cm) and unsure if I should just get the large?  I'm female FWIW.  No stores anywhere near me to try things on, unfortunately. 

Thanks for listening! 

20210417_120217.jpg

4 minutes ago, Phantom31 said:

Hi all,

First time poster. Rec league goalie (men's A/B) and usually get plenty of shots from former Junior/college types who can still rip it.  I'm also a small goalie (5'8" on skates) and take a lot of headshots as a result. Probably replaced three or four cages in the last few years. 

I have a 2006 Itech 961 that has been an absolute tank.  Shell is still good, no visible chips/cracks. I installed the Maltese kit a couple years ago and the foam is still in good shape.  

That said, I don't know if the best thing is to install new EcoPro Foam kit in the Itech, or just buy the new Bauer 960 (2020) and keep the old warhorse as a backup.  I have had a couple of  concussions in the past (two from competing horses, one from getting drilled in the crease by dman and opposing player) and want to be conservative on the head protection.  Both options seem reasonable, I just can't decide what the right one is.

Regarding the new Bauer 960, I'm right between the med/large sizes (57.5cm) and unsure if I should just get the large?  I'm female FWIW.  No stores anywhere near me to try things on, unfortunately. 

Thanks for listening!

The premise behind the Maltese foam was to create something that would not stiffen up/harden over time like traditional Rubatex. 
If the padding in your mask is still soft you can continue to use it.

I've heard of people taking it as far as saturating the padding with water every so often, then going in with their hands and fingers and "wringing out" the padding to flush out any excess sweat/etc (wear gloves, you'll see some icky brown water come out)

Also note that for the price of a new Bauer, you can pick up a mostly-similar Otny CC with ECO padding from GoalieParts.com

Welcome to (migrating to the new board from the old... ) board (assuming I recognize your name/gear kit accurately).

I'm with Chenner on the Maltese. That was the main selling point - "doesn't get crusty and harden over time - will maintain its integrity". As far as the mask itself here was a similar styled response I had to another question specifically about a different brand mask somewhere else on this board...

A lot of the replace at "X" years school of thought is tied to the materials used - namely the resin I believe. Last I knew - Pro's Choice uses epoxy resin which isn't thought to degrade over time (unlike polyester resin can/will). So ultimately I think it boils down to your feel good (or lack thereof). Are you regularly giving your mask a once over and inspecting for damage/signs of degradation? Do you refurbish your mask "regularly" when called for (new cage, hardware, foams... )? For what it's worth - I have a 2008 and a 2010 Pro's Choice in my rotation with no concerns and/or issues.

I believe the Itech's of your vintage might have also used epoxy (?). Regardless - so long as you are regularly inspecting your mask and there's no evidence of delamination between layers of material - I would think you are good.

Sorry - forgot the size question (if you go that route) - I would think you'd be best to err on the larger side in your instance and take up any gaps with additional foam to take out any wiggle. In a perfect world it'd of course be best to try them on.

Thanks boys!!  And thank you chile for the welcome, you remember correctly 😊

I also ride/show jump competitively and there is an "expiration" rule on riding helmets (replace after a fall or after 5 years), but those are very different foams and materials. 

Keeping the Itech going is definitely my first choice so I'm glad it just comes down to integrity of the shell and foam.  The mask gets inspected after each use and got a good clean recently because yet another cage bit the dust (see below).

...of course that was my first skate back after living in Japan for a year and not playing. 😑

Moving to the UK in a few weeks and am very happy to know I don't have to run around trying to find a replacement mask on top of everything else I have to worry about now.  Thanks again guys!

FB_IMG_1618754264834.jpg

Archived