Uneven Wear on Skate Blades

I had my goalie skates sharpened at a new place and noticed after about five skates in the mid to toe of the blade on both are much more duller, and the mid to heel are really sharp. I've never experienced it to this extend before, and prior there was a more even ware.

I'm not sure if it has to do with me being more heavy on my pressure on the front or not? Is this normal or something wrong with the sharping process? I can almost nick my finger tip on the mid to heel on both blades, but not mid to toe.

Also I have recently moved from inline to ice so maybe this is all normal but my first few sharpens were not like this until I moved over to the new place. My skating ability has also changed as I had to learn from nothing. Been at this since September of this year and noticing this issue on my last sharpen.

Edited by OldSchoolGoalie

You may have a blade that is slightly bent. Could also have something to do with the person who sharpened them. Heck, it may even just be related to where you are placing your weight like you hypothesized. There are several variables that may or may not have to do with why your edges are in the condition they are currently in. 

Did you notice anything out of the ordinary after your first ice session with the new sharpening?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bildeer said:

You may have a blade that is slightly bent. Could also have something to do with the person who sharpened them. Heck, it may even just be related to where you are placing your weight like you hypothesized. There are several variables that may or may not have to do with why your edges are in the condition they are currently in. 

Did you notice anything out of the ordinary after your first ice session with the new sharpening?

Not really, I caught this on my last skate after the game. Sometimes I'll feel the blade for nicks or whatever and noticed how sharp it was from mid to heel on both skates but much duller mid to toe. Never had this happen prior. Due to my inexperience on ice I wasn't sure if it was normal or not. I'm not a heavy person or anything so even with duller skates I can still grab an edge on the ice. Maybe I should just take them to the pro shop I got them done at and ask about it. I just don't want to come across as an idiot. :D 

Or as a test I could just get them sharpened at the first place and see if it happens again?

I did probably 15+ skates only using the 1st place, never had wear like this before.

2 hours ago, OldSchoolGoalie said:

I had my goalie skates sharpened at a new place and noticed after about five skates in the mid to toe of the blade on both are much more duller, and the mid to heel are really sharp. I've never experienced it to this extend before, and prior there was a more even ware.

I'm not sure if it has to do with me being more heavy on my pressure on the front or not? Is this normal or something wrong with the sharping process? I can almost nick my finger tip on the mid to heel on both blades, but not mid to toe.

Also I have recently moved from inline to ice so maybe this is all normal but my first few sharpens were not like this until I moved over to the new place. My skating ability has also changed as I had to learn from nothing.  Been at this since September of this year and noticing this issue on my last sharpen. 

Assuming proper sharpening, you shouldn't be feeling a change in edge quality within 5 skates unless you're using shitty steel.  And when we're talking about edge degradation, you'll be feeling that across the whole blade, not just the front half.

I'm ruling out bent blade as someone else mentioned because you would have felt that with the old sharpener.

I'm guessing the person sharpening your skates now did not check to see if both edges are level across the blade

Instead of taking a line straight down the center of the blade (green), they took a slight diagonal (red).

image.png.8ef3bc554456cd6b0c05303631dc647f.png

Your outside edge from front to mid should feel sharp, as should your inside edge on the mid to heel.

Conversely, your inside edge from front to mid should feel dull, as should your outside edge from mid to heel.

If you want to check yourself, take your blades back to the sharpener and ask for a leveler.  Place it in three spots (front half, middle, rear half).

You want the end result to look like the second pic below.

image.png.3fcabac84ebe64278efc6eb76dcfbf9b.png

image.png.b21ba6fbe0f1858c79d13476b844cb92.png

If they don't have a leveler...well, case closed.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Assuming proper sharpening, you shouldn't be feeling a change in edge quality within 5 skates unless you're using shitty steel.  And when we're talking about edge degradation, you'll be feeling that across the whole blade, not just the front half.

I'm ruling out bent blade as someone else mentioned because you would have felt that with the old sharpener.

I'm guessing the person sharpening your skates now did not check to see if both edges are level across the blade

Instead of taking a line straight down the center of the blade (green), they took a slight diagonal (red).

image.png.8ef3bc554456cd6b0c05303631dc647f.png

Your outside edge from front to mid should feel sharp, as should your inside edge on the mid to heel.

Conversely, your inside edge from front to mid should feel dull, as should your outside edge from mid to heel.

If you want to check yourself, take your blades back to the sharpener and ask for a leveler.  Place it in three spots (front half, middle, rear half).

You want the end result to look like the second pic below.

image.png.3fcabac84ebe64278efc6eb76dcfbf9b.png

image.png.b21ba6fbe0f1858c79d13476b844cb92.png

If they don't have a leveler...well, case closed.

Thank you! I'll do this and see what they come back with and post back. Probably either Monday or Tuesday I'll have a chance to drop in as I got a game later in the week. All of this is really new to me since I just did inline before, and even when I skated with player skates casually before I never noticed stuff like this. I went to this place as a recommendation because they're supposed to be easy on the toe and heel when working with goalie skates.