Bauer NME VTX chin 💥

I know the weak chin has supposedly been addressed on the newer NME ONE helmets but I am posting this so anyone who might be considering buying an older VTX is aware of what could happen.

Took a shot to the chin that cracked the paint and bent the inner liner many beer league seasons ago. I have been sealing it with a clear coat since then to stop rust and further paint chips. The other night I had a game where I took 3 shots to the neck area and this was the resulting damage. This is after bending the inner wire back out with some needle nose pliers.

The helmet otherwise has performed great outside of normal wear and tear. Pads de-laminating (fixed with some 3m PSA film) and chips here and there. 

I am looking into a 960 now and I think my time in NME's is over. I will miss the lightweight feel and cool vent shapes.

image.thumb.jpeg.3345bdfe6af4e7f046fdeae1b6fbba28.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3bc4b05a4624a6041199e672a90605f6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/6/2023 at 10:14 AM, turbototts said:

I know the weak chin has supposedly been addressed on the newer NME ONE helmets but I am posting this so anyone who might be considering buying an older VTX is aware of what could happen.

Took a shot to the chin that cracked the paint and bent the inner liner many beer league seasons ago. I have been sealing it with a clear coat since then to stop rust and further paint chips. The other night I had a game where I took 3 shots to the neck area and this was the resulting damage. This is after bending the inner wire back out with some needle nose pliers.

The helmet otherwise has performed great outside of normal wear and tear. Pads de-laminating (fixed with some 3m PSA film) and chips here and there. 

I am looking into a 960 now and I think my time in NME's is over. I will miss the lightweight feel and cool vent shapes.

image.thumb.jpeg.3345bdfe6af4e7f046fdeae1b6fbba28.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3bc4b05a4624a6041199e672a90605f6.jpeg

My VTX chin was doing something similar, albeit not as bad. A lot of it was just from the chin hitting the ice. 

So far my 960 has held up a hell of a lot better. So I don't think you'll be disappointed. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 1:14 PM, turbototts said:

Had the same thing happen to both the initial VTX and the one the warranty replacement. Wearing the VTX was more of an experiment for me as my face shape is a better fit for the Profile line... but I did like it for the time it lasted. Picked up an AXIS and it's felt good. Heavier... but still a heck of a lot lighter than anything I had as a kid.

3 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Had the same thing happen to both the initial VTX and the one the warranty replacement. Wearing the VTX was more of an experiment for me as my face shape is a better fit for the Profile line... but I did like it for the time it lasted. Picked up an AXIS and it's felt good. Heavier... but still a heck of a lot lighter than anything I had as a kid.

How is the fit on the Axis? Does it fit like the profile line? 

26 minutes ago, turbototts said:

How is the fit on the Axis? Does it fit like the profile line? 

In terms of actual sizing for the shape of my face yes. I had sized down to a Fit 1 in the VTX to make up for more generous proportions around the cheeks, and had it maxed out in terms of head circumference. My hat size is a 7 1/8 and in the Axis and 960 I'm in a comfortable Medium.

I feel like my face was closer to the cage in a 960 than in Axis... but that hasn't been an issue at all. Great visibility and the differing chin shape hasn't been noticeable either.

• Like 1