Switching out of Mach's into HL2's?

RecoveringGoalie1

Last season I ended up ordering a full custom Bauer Mach set with some minor modifications - Ultrasonic stiff thigh rise and I went with stabiliflex instead of slide. I was coming from Bauer 3X pads, prior to that 1S OD1N's which I was not a huge fan of, and it was a heck of an adjustment that took months to get used to the all round stiffer construction of the pads. I have a reasonably wide butterfly, though I do feel the Mach's put more strain on my hips compared to the 3X due to their overall stiffness. After a year in the Mach's I'm playing the best I ever have (moved from D div to C div), but I do feel I'm missing out on some of the mobility and smoothness that my 3X / Vapour line provided during scrambles and quick crease movements.

With the rave reviews of the HL2's I'm debating picking up a new set, again with ultrasonic stiff thigh rise and stabiliflex, and am wondering if the community thinks that's worth it considering the current composition of my Mach's? I intend to borrow a demo HL2 set in general, but I find it hard to truly evaluate a pad without using it for weeks/months and that isn't possible as a demo.

Any general thoughts?

Edited by RecoveringGoalie1

I actually ordered HL2 pads with medium (ultrasonic) stiffness and am quite fond of them. They provide the little bit extra mobility I needed when doing crease movements. I had stock machs with a stiff boot break before these and as great as those were the sliding is better on HL2 and they play better despite being nearly identical specs. I got the stabilislide knee block and Mach tune fit both of which have been as expected. I do have an absurdly wide butterfly which helps tons with Mach and ultrasonic stiff pads. 

Though if you're used to 3x mobility, I would go for at least semi soft if not soft for the thigh rise.

Edited by ThatCarGuy
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, RecoveringGoalie1 said:

Any particular reason you went for the Mach tune fit + and the stabilslide in the HL2's? I quite like the Mach strapping I currently have, though it seems most people are using the stock HL2 strapping.

Mach tune fit feels more similar to true and ccm in my opinion. I went for stabilislide simply because I'm used to it though I'll probably go for stabiliflex on my next set along with several other changes. I'll keep the ultrasonic stiff thigh rise though

15 hours ago, RecoveringGoalie1 said:

Last season I ended up ordering a full custom Bauer Mach set with some minor modifications - Ultrasonic stiff thigh rise and I went with stabiliflex instead of slide. I was coming from Bauer 3X pads, prior to that 1S OD1N's which I was not a huge fan of, and it was a heck of an adjustment that took months to get used to the all round stiffer construction of the pads. I have a reasonably wide butterfly, though I do feel the Mach's put more strain on my hips compared to the 3X due to their overall stiffness. After a year in the Mach's I'm playing the best I ever have (moved from D div to C div), but I do feel I'm missing out on some of the mobility and smoothness that my 3X / Vapour line provided during scrambles and quick crease movements.

With the rave reviews of the HL2's I'm debating picking up a new set, again with ultrasonic stiff thigh rise and stabiliflex, and am wondering if the community thinks that's worth it considering the current composition of my Mach's? I intend to borrow a demo HL2 set in general, but I find it hard to truly evaluate a pad without using it for weeks/months and that isn't possible as a demo.

Any general thoughts?

What you'd be changing out would be essentially the boot, in both flex profile and overall angle. 

HL1+HL2 both have a 90 degree soft boot which is very popular for mobility and feel. The Supreme line has had a rised boot area that's historically been fused/stiff. They softened it with the Ultrasonic, and further so with the Mach. 

The HL2 will still be flatter and softer than what the Mach evolved into, but that would be the only real change you'd be getting with your proposed new set. 

I think that you may benefit more from going down a step in stiffness profile like @ThatCarGuy said. Bauer's stiffness options with their thighrises changes the curve/angle of them. Adding more flex/curve to your thighrises will not only help with your skating movements, but it'll also help facilitate sealing off your 5-hole without the need of flaring out as much. 

You have a good grasp of the difference of the two pads and your unicorn may be a mix of the two. Up to you whether a small change in specs are worth it for you to drop the moolah. 

• Like 1