Giving 591 a chance

ThatCarGuy

As of yesterday I bought and used an Axis 2 glove to see how much work it needs to be a usable glove. They're on a ridiculous levels of discount right now so I figured might as well.

Before even getting on the ice I added a 1in pinky loop to help closure, which it did but not as much as I'd hoped. I need to go through and change that loop to a 2in loop to stop if from folding over, the same issue as EF6. I also need to add a index finger loop like EF6. 

First on ice impressions the glove is light and is a pretty good shape for me to catch with still needs a lot of work to close since it's pretty stiff and squeezing rather than folding, an issue 600 gloves have as well. I'll probably put a lace pocket in it to help soften it

How is the thumb angle, and the angle of the palm in general? What I mean by that is, is it somewhat flat or does it funnel and angle back into the pocket? I have the 581 and it's been worked in really nicely, but the one outstanding issue I've always had is the angle of the palm and the thumb. Relative to the pocket, and in comparison to other gloves it's really flat and tends to meet the puck at a perpendicular angle if you miss the pocket, which results in more pop-outs than I'd like. Hopefully that description makes sense. 😅

9 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Got any pics of your mods? 

Nothing complex just a sewn in loop for now. I'll make it adjustable on the 2in version. I also trimmed a piece of lace on the backhand to allow me to close it fully without restriction. Not sure why ccm didn't do that instead of opting for the hideous thing they did to skinner and Markstrom's gloves. It also allows the backhand to open fully as shown in the pictures. 

20240224_001157.thumb.jpg.9f80d0fdc1ad8c36426220f139916f6b.jpg

20240224_001154.thumb.jpg.cf852ce389950c6c93556ba51b854750.jpg

7 hours ago, froese said:

How is the thumb angle, and the angle of the palm in general? What I mean by that is, is it somewhat flat or does it funnel and angle back into the pocket? I have the 581 and it's been worked in really nicely, but the one outstanding issue I've always had is the angle of the palm and the thumb. Relative to the pocket, and in comparison to other gloves it's really flat and tends to meet the puck at a perpendicular angle if you miss the pocket, which results in more pop-outs than I'd like. Hopefully that description makes sense. 😅

Thumb angle still isn't great but it feels like the thumb funnels well though the fingers don't. It's a hard piece to photograph so hopefully that pic gets the idea across

20240224_001725.thumb.jpg.96d9a90a17e32f4fbd9581e43f65fe34.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Nothing complex just a sewn in loop for now. I'll make it adjustable on the 2in version. I also trimmed a piece of lace on the backhand to allow me to close it fully without restriction. Not sure why ccm didn't do that instead of opting for the hideous thing they did to skinner and Markstrom's gloves. It also allows the backhand to open fully as shown in the pictures. 

20240224_001157.thumb.jpg.9f80d0fdc1ad8c36426220f139916f6b.jpg

20240224_001154.thumb.jpg.cf852ce389950c6c93556ba51b854750.jpg

Thumb angle still isn't great but it feels like the thumb funnels well though the fingers don't. It's a hard piece to photograph so hopefully that pic gets the idea across

20240224_001725.thumb.jpg.96d9a90a17e32f4fbd9581e43f65fe34.jpg

Yup that looks very similar to the 581. It's unfortunate because the pocket is pretty nice and deep with these gloves. It just needs to be matched with a thumb/palm/fingers that flows from and compliments it better so everything works together. But it also might be something you can really get used to over time so it's worth a shot!

At the rate it's breaking in it should be about 1-2 weeks before it's truly game ready. I'll still use it whenever I can until then I'll be following a mixture break in methods, mainly TGN's (alternating opening and closing the glove every 24 hours as well as working the glove in by hand)

22 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

At the rate it's breaking in it should be about 1-2 weeks before it's truly game ready. I'll still use it whenever I can until then I'll be following a mixture break in methods, mainly TGN's (alternating opening and closing the glove every 24 hours as well as working the glove in by hand)

If you can, give it a couple of good bakes as well. I found the foams and d30 in my 581 responded really well to heat and it made a big difference. 

37 minutes ago, froese said:

If you can, give it a couple of good bakes as well. I found the foams and d30 in my 581 responded really well to heat and it made a big difference. 

Will do. I'll throw it in the skate oven tomorrow and try to work the glove til it's cold again then tie it shut

Second skate with the glove today. I can catch consistently with it! It funnels decently and is already giving my coworkers PX3 590 strong competition (his words not mine). It's far from my favorite glove out there but with a softer closure and getting rid of the ridiculous ridge in the palm it very well could be. 

That said I could definitely use an intermediate palm to help it feel more snug and I still prefer my G6.1. 591 is a little similar to G6.0 in that it doesn't exactly feel like a glove compared to G6.1 and other brands' offerings. More like a mitt

• Like 1