TF9 sidewall protection from scratches

johncho

I'm getting some scrapes on the carbon fibre sidewall from touching the post, I saw this product https://www.instagram.com/theskateprotector/?hl=en which would address the exact issue, but it's also pretty expensive and looks like overkill. So I'm wondering if I should just put down some PPF film every month or if I should get something like https://www.amazon.ca/Plastics-2000-KYDEX-Sheet-0-080/dp/B077S5N6TP and place it on top. 

I saw https://www.binnieshockey.com/shop-hockey-accessories/custom-ultra-shot-blockers from another thread I could cut just the bottom to make it fit the area that I want, but I don't think I can just buy them from the looks of it, I think they want a drop off of the skate which would not work and also I'm in Canada. Would someone be able to facilitate a US purchase?

1 hour ago, johncho said:

I'm getting some scrapes on the carbon fibre sidewall from touching the post, I saw this product https://www.instagram.com/theskateprotector/?hl=en which would address the exact issue, but it's also pretty expensive and looks like overkill. So I'm wondering if I should just put down some PPF film every month or if I should get something like https://www.amazon.ca/Plastics-2000-KYDEX-Sheet-0-080/dp/B077S5N6TP and place it on top. 

I saw https://www.binnieshockey.com/shop-hockey-accessories/custom-ultra-shot-blockers from another thread I could cut just the bottom to make it fit the area that I want, but I don't think I can just buy them from the looks of it, I think they want a drop off of the skate which would not work and also I'm in Canada. Would someone be able to facilitate a US purchase?

I had this same problem, looked at that same instagram post, then saw the price and instantly crossed that off the list, haha. I went with ppf tape and it's done the trick very nicely. You can't even see it since it looks like the glossy finish of the skate. I'd say give it a try.

• Thanks 1

I'd go with the PPF film, personally, I've been using small bits of it on high wear spots on my HL2 pads (thighrise corners and boot binding area) and it works like a charm - zero wear.

The shot blockers look a little chunky. I think they're made of Kydex so they should be pretty lightweight...

Edited by ZeroGravitas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZeroGravitas said:

I'd go with the PPF film, personally, I've been using small bits of it on high wear spots on my HL2 pads (thighrise corners and boot binding area) and it works like a charm - zero wear.

The shot blockers look a little chunky. I think they're made of Kydex so they should be pretty lightweight...

Yup, I do that as well on my eflex 6 pads and it works great. I also had a tiny cut on my glove so I just sealed it up with a small piece of PPF. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, froese said:

I had this same problem, looked at that same instagram post, then saw the price and instantly crossed that off the list, haha. I went with ppf tape and it's done the trick very nicely. You can't even see it since it looks like the glossy finish of the skate. I'd say give it a try.

What were they asking for those skate protectors on instagram ? I seen them and was wondering about them. Thanks 

23 minutes ago, Snowman30 said:

What were they asking for those skate protectors on instagram ? I seen them and was wondering about them. Thanks 

I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was a minimum $100 USD? If anyone else remembers and I'm way off, please correct me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2024 at 8:25 AM, froese said:

I have the tf7 skates so it's fiberglass as opposed to carbon fiber but mine are getting pretty beat up from the posts along the outside of the boot and on the back. I have only been using them for 15 games or so but they look much worse then my previous bauer and ccm pairs that I wore for years. Do you have any pics of your mod? I was thinking of adding the ppf around the whole boot but thought it may be difficult to get good application around the curvature of the skate. I thought about putting a strip along the side as well as the back but worry about it peeling off from wear from pad rotation. 

15 hours ago, wigalicous said:

I have the tf7 skates so it's fiberglass as opposed to carbon fiber but mine are getting pretty beat up from the posts along the outside of the boot and on the back. I have only been using them for 15 games or so but they look much worse then my previous bauer and ccm pairs that I wore for years. Do you have any pics of your mod? I was thinking of adding the ppf around the whole boot but thought it may be difficult to get good application around the curvature of the skate. I thought about putting a strip along the side as well as the back but worry about it peeling off from wear from pad rotation. 

You can see in my pic, especially near the ankle, the outline of the ppf strip. It's very minimal in height but runs the length of the skate. You don't have to wrap the whole skate, just in the spots where it wears. All the scuffs are on the ppf material, and I'm probably due for a new strip. No issues with it peeling away and you can hardly even see it. Easy to do. 

PXL_20240323_154250767.jpg

1 hour ago, froese said:

You can see in my pic, especially near the ankle, the outline of the ppf strip. It's very minimal in height but runs the length of the skate. You don't have to wrap the whole skate, just in the spots where it wears. All the scuffs are on the ppf material, and I'm probably due for a new strip. No issues with it peeling away and you can hardly even see it. Easy to do. 

PXL_20240323_154250767.jpg

Thanks for sending this along, I am going to apply this to my skates right now. I wish I would have thought of this earlier as my skates have already taken a beating this beer league season. But o well at least it will stop further damage to the boot. 

I just bought some Kydex sheets for 25$, much more than enough for what I need. Once my kid's hockey finishes I will be able to diy a bit and I will report back.

My plan is to cut a strip, warm it up then lay it on the skate for it to form. Then apply some VHB double sided 3M tape to affix it.