Knee block/stack size question

Moose75

I've been looking into changing a set of knee stacks/knee blocks, and I've read conflicting information. I've read a taller knee block is better for your hips and knees, yet I've also read it's worse. If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it!

2 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

I've been looking into changing a set of knee stacks/knee blocks, and I've read conflicting information. I've read a taller knee block is better for your hips and knees, yet I've also read it's worse. If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it!

Hmm, I've never heard of a higher knee block being worse.

I know that the elevated nature of larger knee blocks allows for less strain on the hips and knees as well as offers greater overall movement. That being said, I'm sure there's a certain height for a knee block where the returns are diminished.

1 hour ago, Moose75 said:

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Hmm, I've never heard of a higher knee block being worse.

I know that the elevated nature of larger knee blocks allows for less strain on the hips and knees as well as offers greater overall movement. That being said, I'm sure there's a certain height for a knee block where the returns are diminished.

I've added 1/8" HD foam to my knee blocks (sliding side) and only have positive things to say.  I tried 1/4" and I felt like there was too much interference in the knee area.

Do you have a source for the negative feedback on a taller knee block? I have yet to come across any and only have good things to say about going slightly thicker.

It's possible any adverse reaction to a thicker knee block has to do with materials used.  Driving your knees down hard into a solid HD foam sheet seems like it would be pretty bad for the hips and knees.

The diminishing returns are most likely going to be determined by the pad/knee pad combo you use.  If you've got a lot of room in your knee area, then you can probably get away with a thicker knee block.  I put the Monster Fazio knee blocks on my 1S set (I forget the exact sizing, but I got the thicker than standard HD foam and normal thickness Maltese in the knee landing side) and I started having some rotation issues with my big Vaughn knee pads on.  It was like the combined thickness was pushing my knee off center of the pad.  I ended up shaving down the internal HD foam to get a better fit.

That's an example of a big knee pad and a pad with not a lot of knee room though.

Archived