Skate White Out

TheGoalNet

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Unfortunately, I don’t reall know him and am not in a position to ask again. 

@bunnyman666 - Any feedback? 

I am thinking this is just paint, as the quote was “a body shoppe did this for about $70”.  Sand the composite with 320 to get a grippy surface for the paint. Get the colour coat down, get plenty of clear, bake the shit out of the paint; wham! Bam! Thank you, m’am!!! 

Note that the paint is probably going to not look so good after awhile; but what skate looks good after hitting posts, pucks, other skates, etc.?

Now- one could go old school gel-coat style (using epoxy rather than gel coat) and paint the mould with composite paint inside to transfer the paint to the composite during laminating. As a variant of colour moulding composites, I perfected logos inside the outer epoxy, which takes 50 grit paper to remove. It took a long time to perfect my method. *If I find the first piece I perfected (as I saw this a few months ago in my hoarder’s basement), I will show it off. Oddly enough, I used a stamp inked with Sharpie ink and it worked perfectly. This would take considerable time and expense for  the composite shoppe to get it perfect and stay well on the composite, especially in a high impact/wear area. 

I imagine that is how VH/True were doing it before they abandoned the practise. I would go so far to say that since VH/True wants to do customised production, which would preclude things like this as it takes extra time and has potential pitfalls and delays. 

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

I am thinking this is just paint, as the quote was “a body shoppe did this for about $70”.  Sand the composite with 320 to get a grippy surface for the paint. Get the colour coat down, get plenty of clear, bake the shit out of the paint; wham! Bam! Thank you, m’am!!! 

Note that the paint is probably going to not look so good after awhile; but what skate looks good after hitting posts, pucks, other skates, etc.?

Now- one could go old school gel-coat style (using epoxy rather than gel coat) and paint the mould with composite paint inside to transfer the paint to the composite during laminating. As a variant of colour moulding composites, I perfected logos inside the outer epoxy, which takes 50 grit paper to remove. It took a long time to perfect my method. *If I find the first piece I perfected (as I saw this a few months ago in my hoarder’s basement), I will show it off. Oddly enough, I used a stamp inked with Sharpie ink and it worked perfectly. This would take considerable time and expense for  the composite shoppe to get it perfect and stay well on the composite, especially in a high impact/wear area. 

I imagine that is how VH/True were doing it before they abandoned the practise. I would go so far to say that since VH/True wants to do customised production, which would preclude things like this as it takes extra time and has potential pitfalls and delays. 

Soooo, rattle can no good?

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Thanks 

Archived