Speedskin wear

Westcoast Tender

Here’s the only wear on my pads. I consider this normal for a set of pads that is creeping up on a year old. 

Of note is that both my Brian’s had some wear here too. I believe it must be something with my stance causing some friction? 

Rest of the pad looks perfect. My only skate cut is in a weave area 

95601DB2-891D-45B1-8F7A-EF9B7EB3C425.jpeg

EAA4DB45-6FD2-4E32-84B0-130040B6F1FC.jpeg

On 9/16/2018 at 6:39 AM, Big2 said:

West coast thanks for the feedback - anyone else seen this on their speedskin

Keep  us posted on any further wear and or how CCM treats this issue

I have a friend who had CCM E-Flex 3.9’s and he said it was wearing easy so I took a look and he was correct. The speedskin in my opinion seems to be wearing easier than traditional Jenpro...

Just my .02... and while it sounds like it's an inconsistent "issue" for users of Speedskin (as some have had no issue at all)... my belief is that as companies (Bauer, CCM, Brian's, and now Vaughn) are pushing the envelope for optimal performance with their materials... durability becomes less of a priority. That's not to say that performance and durability have a reciprocal relationship... but there is a certain level of give and take between the two when one is given more priority. ⚖️

I think some of the CCM blockers use speedskin as well. I have 2 CCM blockers with a material similar looking to speedskin, both have very clean tears in them on the corner of the blocker. It seemed like the plastic sheets inside were not cut properly and eventually tore through it. My CCM Eflex 3.5 blocker broke in about a week.

4 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Just my .02... and while it sounds like it's an inconsistent "issue" for users of Speedskin (as some have had no issue at all)... my belief is that as companies (Bauer, CCM, Brian's, and now Vaughn) are pushing the envelope for optimal performance with their materials... durability becomes less of a priority. That's not to say that performance and durability have a reciprocal relationship... but there is a certain level of give and take between the two when one is given more priority. ⚖️

That is probably a very accurate statement. There could be a trade off between lightweight performance materials and durability. 

The upside is that in the customizer you can pick what material is in which zone. With Brian's, CCM, or Vaughn, you could pick the material lay up.

This issue is also NOT new. Weave typically does not hold up as well as regular jenpro

3 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I think some of the CCM blockers use speedskin as well. I have 2 CCM blockers with a material similar looking to speedskin, both have very clean tears in them on the corner of the blocker. It seemed like the plastic sheets inside were not cut properly and eventually tore through it. My CCM Eflex 3.5 blocker broke in about a week.

This is a fascinating point. Maybe the issue is not the material but rather how well and smooth the inserts are cut.

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

That is probably a very accurate statement. There could be a trade off between lightweight performance materials and durability. 

The upside is that in the customizer you can pick what material is in which zone. With Brian's, CCM, or Vaughn, you could pick the material lay up.

This issue is also NOT new. Weave typically does not hold up as well as regular jenpro

Prior to selling them... how did you find the Primo material on your Optiks held up? Did you have enough skates in them to give a strong opinion one way or another?

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

This is a fascinating point. Maybe the issue is not the material but rather how well and smooth the inserts are cut.

I'll try and get some pics. My Warrior G3 blocker (jenpro, current used) has zero evidence of a potential tear. My CCM E3.9 (speedskin) blocker also has a hole in it but it took much longer because there was stitching right over the would-be hole. I will also try to report back how my dad's CCM R1.5 (jenpro) blocker holds up. I have had no problems with the CCM R1.9 glove other than normal wear and tear. I can't put in my .02 on pads because I've never had Speeskin pads.

Archived