How Does Pad Wrap Work?

I would like to wrap my Vaughn LT88s for Halloween this year. I could use YouTube but I trust y'all more. YouTube is my last resort. I will keep my plans for wrapping the pads unknown for purpose of wanting unique Halloween pads. I have servo experience with pad wrap or anything of the sort. I need some help or a good tutorial on how to use the stuff.

Thank you,

T

10 minutes ago, itis121 said:

Masking tape I would say is easier to use to trace the wanted pad patterns

I second this. I've also used painters tape in a 2" width, worked well for thinner graphics. If you put the tape over the graphic, then make a rubbing around the edges of the graphic with a pencil. Transfer the tape onto the pad wrap, cut at the lines. I had some success with cutting just a little wider than the graphic so it fully overlaps, then press the edges down. I've also left a bit too much of and overlap, and that didn't work out too well, so you've got to find a happy medium. Take your time, use sharp scissors.

In the image, the black and red are existing, the blue and yellow are pad wrap.

Padwrap.jpg

25 minutes ago, itis121 said:

Masking tape I would say is easier to use to trace the wanted pad patterns

Interesting. I see what your thinking but plan on going a bit overkill with the pad wrap (fully changing the color of the pad from white to red excluding side blocks). I guess I'll reveal my plans to make it easier on y'all. I would like to have Kit Kat pads for halloween lol. Nothing too over the top. Just a simplified Kit Kat wrapper.

kit-kat-xl-4.25oz-candy-bar8.png?v=14780

I would probably just do the red wrapping and the "Kit Kat" part. Maybe arrange the words to a vertical format rather than horizontal as shown here. 

And here's the pads themselves:

IMG_0296.JPG

I said simplified, not easy lol. I hope this helps.

Thank you,

T

Still simplified, probably easier. You could print out the Kit Kat logo (to the size you need), adhere it to the pad wrap (just tape it I guess), and cut it out that way. The red isn't a problem, especially if its all temporary, you don't need it to be super accurate and tucked in (I removed the toe bridge screws to make sure the wrap looked more natural). I've had mine applied for a couple years.

6 minutes ago, goalie381 said:

Still simplified, probably easier. You could print out the Kit Kat logo (to the size you need), adhere it to the pad wrap (just tape it I guess), and cut it out that way.

You have saved me. I try to simplify things but I also tend to complicate them further in the process. Printing the logo is a great idea and will save me a ton of time. Thank you!

T

39 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

You're right. I'll keep my pad wrap for a design that's less temporary...

One thing I wanted to point out based on my experience, you may need less wrap than you think. In my example above, each area is its own piece, where it separates at the seam (boot, shin, knee, thigh). By doing that, I was able to order 1 medium size sheet of the blue (made sure the length of the shin was within the size of the medium sheet), and one small of the yellow, and changed the graphic on both pads with just that. So if your more permanent design is less "all over," you could try to utilize the material to its fullest extent without much waste.

1 hour ago, goalie381 said:

One thing I wanted to point out based on my experience, you may need less wrap than you think. In my example above, each area is its own piece, where it separates at the seam (boot, shin, knee, thigh). By doing that, I was able to order 1 medium size sheet of the blue (made sure the length of the shin was within the size of the medium sheet), and one small of the yellow, and changed the graphic on both pads with just that. So if your more permanent design is less "all over," you could try to utilize the material to its fullest extent without much waste.

My plan would still cover the pad but it would also have far less layers (3 total colors and most shapes are large rectangles).

• 8 months later...

Archived