Recommendations for an affordable soft pad

jwags2201

Hey guys, I’ve been wearing Brian’s GNetik 5.0 leg pads for the past four years at a size 33+1. I recently tried Vaughn SLR pads at 34+2 and realized that my hybrid style just wont work with such a stiff pad. Should I stick with the smaller size for my playing style? What are some soft goalie pads you recommend?

Vaughn VE8, EFlex 3/3.9/4/4.9 and Warrior GT.

If you wanna go custom Kenesky or Passau can make what you're looking for.

The word Hybrid is overused... Do you still play stand up with skate/toe saves?  Pads now are stiff or soft.  Some like the GT line from Warrior add increased torsional flex to add some flexibility to the pad core.

I like to stay up as much as I can because I’m not too tall (5,9), but I’m constantly working on quick foot movement in my butterfly to try and balance my skills both in standing up and going down. I just think softer pads have been extremely comfortable in moving as quickly/athletically as I can.

23 minutes ago, jwags2201 said:

I like to stay up as much as I can because I’m not too tall (5,9), but I’m constantly working on quick foot movement in my butterfly to try and balance my skills both in standing up and going down. I just think softer pads have been extremely comfortable in moving as quickly/athletically as I can.

See above then for pad options.  I'm 5'9" as well and use a ton of butterfly, I just play angles more aggressively for my shortcomings in height.

I'm in much the same boat as you - smallish (5'-6") and like a pad that moves and flexes with me. I had a pair of Vaughn 7700's (V3 Carey Price graphic) that I loved and tried a lot of replacements (TPS R8, Battram, Vaughn V5, Bauer Reactor 6000, Reebok XLT and probably others I'm forgetting aside from checking out almost everything from soup to nuts (Warrior, Brian's, etc.) you can find in store) before happily settling on some UL9's from Simmons. They are the only thing that comes close to replicating the soft boot break of pads from yesteryear as far as I'm concerned (which is the most critical component in getting a pad to feel like its really on your leg in my opinion). Double bonus? They are generally cheaper (since you were looking for something "affordable"). Hope that helps. Happy hunting.

3 hours ago, chile57 said:

I'm in much the same boat as you - smallish (5'-6") and like a pad that moves and flexes with me. I had a pair of Vaughn 7700's (V3 Carey Price graffic) that I loved and tried a lot of replacements (TPS R8, Battram, Vaughn V5, Bauer Reactor 6000, Reebok XLT and probably others I'm forgetting aside from checking out almost everything from soup to nuts (Warrior, Brian's, etc.) you can find in store) before happily settling on some UL9's from Simmons. They are the only thing that comes close to replicating the soft boot break of pads from yesteryear as far as I'm concerned (which is the most critical component in getting a pad to feel like its really on your leg in my opinion). Double bonus? They are generally cheaper (since you were looking for something "affordable"). Hope that helps. Happy hunting.

Vaughn will make historical pads as well... In the same construction as well

Archived