Brians Smart Strap - anyone ditched it completely??

raucebyalien

As the title says really; has anyone with a Brians smart strap equipped pad ditched the calf strap completely? (retaining the outer calf strap that keeps the external wings together)

Despite having an ugly hybrid stye, I used to have P4's which I kept pretty loose and because of that they didn't place much torque on my legs / ankles / hips etc. Currently run my gnetik2s smart strap as loose as possible, and since I've had them i've routed the s.s around the calf wing instead of round the inner wrap (I've posted a pic before, but its similar to how the gnetik4 strapping is now set up) to create a bit more space in the leg channel. 

Only pro I've seen ditch completely is Henrik Karlsson (pics), but I thought I'd see if anyone on here had any experience / pros and cons before I yank them out!

gettyimages-950372688-2048x2048.jpg

gettyimages-951174694-2048x2048.jpg

I'm not surprised that karlsson has his like that he wears his pads super loose per ingoal mag https://ingoalmag.com/interviews/ask-a-pro-with-henrik-karlsson/

funny that he's wearing rbks too

For the smart strap, I have mine pretty tight but that's just my preference. The only issue I could see with ditching it is falling off the knee block, which would depend on your other straps.

Why not try it out at home or in the dressing room? You could tuck the strap out of the way or fold it up and tape it to itself. It would save you from having to put it back on if you don't like it

11 minutes ago, Isles12 said:

For the smart strap, I have mine pretty tight but that's just my preference. The only issue I could see with ditching it is falling off the knee block, which would depend on your other straps.

Why not try it out at home or in the dressing room? You could tuck the strap out of the way or fold it up and tape it to itself. It would save you from having to put it back on if you don't like it

Oddly enough thats what I did as soon as I made the post! G/F is out the house so I got the skates (w/guards on), pads and knee pads on to try it out - even though my smart strap was loose, there was still a notable difference when it wasn't there at all. Its all tucked up now (pic) and will give go on the ice tomorrow without them and see how they are.

I also run a lundy boot, pro-laces and because the Brians knee strap is quite short I'm hoping that the combo of those three should be sufficient to hold with a bit more freedom in the calf.

40 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

Sorry no experience with Brian’s, but just wanted to say it’s cool seeing my city’s goalie on a thread here!

Don't know if you've seen the thread, but this forum has also helped sourcing your other goalie Hrachovina with a new glove!

IMG_3122.jpg

7 hours ago, raucebyalien said:

Oddly enough thats what I did as soon as I made the post! G/F is out the house so I got the skates (w/guards on), pads and knee pads on to try it out - even though my smart strap was loose, there was still a notable difference when it wasn't there at all. Its all tucked up now (pic) and will give go on the ice tomorrow without them and see how they are.

I also run a lundy boot, pro-laces and because the Brians knee strap is quite short I'm hoping that the combo of those three should be sufficient to hold with a bit more freedom in the calf.

Don't know if you've seen the thread, but this forum has also helped sourcing your other goalie Hrachovina with a new glove!

IMG_3122.jpg

Which one?

UPDATE: I gave this a go last night, the freedom in the shin was initially a bit strange, but after a while I really began to like it: removed any sense that the pads were working against me and transitions into VH / RVH seemed easier. I think the key is having the lundy loop, the tighter Brians knee strap and even the taughtness of Prolaces to maintain a sense of control of the pad. Probably not for everyone, but for a guy like me approaching 40 with ever reducing flexibility and hip mobility it seemed to help!

@raucebyalien  I stripped out the backsides of my SubZero 2 pads (leaving an open leg channel and an open knee cradle) and removed the Smart Strap system.  My strapping system now includes an elastic "Price" knee-block to calf strap and a nylon "Professor Strap".  I only retained the Brian's elastic calf wrap strap and the leather boot strap, worn loose.  The pads are loose but the "Professor Strap" keeps me on the knee-blocks and in control of the pads.

Archived