“If you give them something to shoot at, you can set them up for failure.”

SaveByRichter35

I found this to be an interesting article from InGoal Magazine.  I've almost forgotten how much fun it was to watch Hasek play.

Volume 4: Hasek’s Genius of Dynamic Space

Of course I was Patrick Roy. By the time I was eight my friends – Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Ray Bourque – knew who they were facing in road hockey without asking. Every day after school it was game 7 and we were being massively outshot, but there was never any doubt who was going to come away with the Cup that afternoon. Roy was my idol.

He was incredible. He ushered in a new era of goaltending, wearing his swagger like a crown, killing you dead with a single wink. Some believe he is the greatest of all time.

I don’t think it’s fair to rank modern goaltenders against the legends of old – the NHL Georges Vezina played in was a world away from Terry Sawchuck’s, and at least a galaxy away from Roy’s. However, I can say with absolute confidence that, of all the goalies I’ve ever watched during my lifetime, one goaltender stands clearly above the rest.

That goaltender is Dominik Hasek...

https://ingoalmag.com/analysis/new-aesthetics-of-goaltending-vol-4-haseks-genius-of-dynamic-space/

• 1 month later...

Man it's crazy how those kinds of moves worked for him. I think old save selections could still work in a slower game.  It seems the best way to combat the game today is to always be square to the puck of course and in position to butterfly. 

23 hours ago, Scythe said:

Man it's crazy how those kinds of moves worked for him. I think old save selections could still work in a slower game.  It seems the best way to combat the game today is to always be square to the puck of course and in position to butterfly. 

Tbh I think it is possible that soon being fast and athletic will be the only way to play goalie at a high level. What I mean is more of a reactive style, and we will be seeing less blocking style. The game is getting faster and faster, and I think slower goalies that get into a good position but just try to block and hope the puck hits them will not do as well. Soon I think it will be mainly about being fast and agile with good reaction.

Archived