Pads with cowlingless skates

Hockey School Dropout

So I picked up some cowlingless skates about 4 months ago.  I have tried multiple permutations of strapping with my older Bauer pads (One80s).  I just cannot get them to feel right with the new skates.  Rotation is difficult and they tend to move around instead of staying in place.  They are 32+1 but I've tried on some used Rbk 33+1 recently and they were pretty much a perfect fit (just condition wasn't too great). 

By my estimation, the cowlingless skates have been around for 3-4 years?  What pad models are in that range of age?  I'm not a gear whore so I don't keep up with what's out there.  But after 7-8 years of my current pads, it seems like time to find something newer.

Thanks for any assistance.

I used to play in cowlingless skates (was in Bauer One100 with cowl before) and One100 pads but  didnt really notice a difference. 
Id try playing around with your heel/skate straps to see if there is a difference for you. 

Ive switched back between cowless (1S) and cowl (CCM tacks) and I really dont feel a difference in the pad

13 hours ago, Hockey School Dropout said:

So I picked up some cowlingless skates about 4 months ago.  I have tried multiple permutations of strapping with my older Bauer pads (One80s).  I just cannot get them to feel right with the new skates.  Rotation is difficult and they tend to move around instead of staying in place.  They are 32+1 but I've tried on some used Rbk 33+1 recently and they were pretty much a perfect fit (just condition wasn't too great). 

By my estimation, the cowlingless skates have been around for 3-4 years?  What pad models are in that range of age?  I'm not a gear whore so I don't keep up with what's out there.  But after 7-8 years of my current pads, it seems like time to find something newer.

Thanks for any assistance.

FWIW... I am a firm believer in reducing the number of leather straps... in most cases once you have elastics dialed in the leathers are just vestigial organs. I even ditched my under the boot strap even though I ordered them with my 2X Pros. I don't think there pads that are more or less conducive to cowlingless skates though. Outside of the Lundy loop and having a behind the heel strap... nothing on a pad has changed as a direct result of cowlingless skates (and truth be told you can find Lundy loops on cowling skates too.) The biggest difference is a newer pad will be a more solid core and stiffer than what you're using now. That said... my EF1 Retroflexes functioned quite well. Biggest difference between them and the 2X Pro is really the stiffness. They're in good shape... 33+1 (reduced by FactoryMAD)... and available... 😉 Stapping was modified with some help from @Beccaraptor at PAW and a little handy work by me...

757375103_PorterMod(03).jpg.825092ce4222d2126e377bd05c02dc9a.jpg1891988671_PorterMod(04).jpg.493c80dec86e1429e30cc4a8aa272e39.jpg1843120199_PorterMod(05).jpg.6a8e955f790d679036d566dd48769763.jpg627385853_PorterMod(06).jpg.39f332264441dc48a1c02ea84c41c5ca.jpg1624236346_Locker01.thumb.jpg.8c2f70bab85cf2fa61b430a9416ce04f.jpg

20 hours ago, kudot said:

I used to play in cowlingless skates (was in Bauer One100 with cowl before) and One100 pads but  didnt really notice a difference. 
Id try playing around with your heel/skate straps to see if there is a difference for you. 

Ive switched back between cowless (1S) and cowl (CCM tacks) and I really dont feel a difference in the pad

I tried the boot strap through the loop, through the large gap in the blade holder and through the furthest one back.  Different tension (through using different holes in the strap) but the pads just sit at a different height now.  I tend to land above the knee stack now, and my knee pads get caught up sometimes leading to interesting adventures on the ice.  Never had that problem with my Bauer Pro skates, but the 2.7s I have now started  it.

10 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

FWIW... I am a firm believer in reducing the number of leather straps... in most cases once you have elastics dialed in the leathers are just vestigial organs. I even ditched my under the boot strap even though I ordered them with my 2X Pros. I don't think there pads that are more or less conducive to cowlingless skates though. Outside of the Lundy loop and having a behind the heel strap... nothing on a pad has changed as a direct result of cowlingless skates (and truth be told you can find Lundy loops on cowling skates too.) The biggest difference is a newer pad will be a more solid core and stiffer than what you're using now. That said... my EF1 Retroflexes functioned quite well. Biggest difference between them and the 2X Pro is really the stiffness. They're in good shape... 33+1 (reduced by FactoryMAD)... and available... 😉 Stapping was modified with some help from @Beccaraptor at PAW and a little handy work by me...

Yeah, I have a lot of straps.  5 to be exact and that's because I removed the very top one.  I'm trying to test different pads but have only tried on Rbk so far.  Mostly my question is what pad lines were available in the last 3-4 years.  Example:  Bauer 1s and 2s, 1x and 2x.  Vaughn maybe v5 or v6 and up?

I definitely would like something a little stiffer as my current pads tend to fall on their face during slides.  

20 hours ago, Hockey School Dropout said:

I tried the boot strap through the loop, through the large gap in the blade holder and through the furthest one back.  Different tension (through using different holes in the strap) but the pads just sit at a different height now.  I tend to land above the knee stack now, and my knee pads get caught up sometimes leading to interesting adventures on the ice.  Never had that problem with my Bauer Pro skates, but the 2.7s I have now started  it.

That can be directly attributed to too much boot strap tension in an under the boot strapping, if you bring it back Lundy style that should help. Lundquist style boot strapping and/or professor strap use raises the pad. I would experiment with one of the latter two and see if that helps. Finding the right tension is key, and maybe try dropping the boot strap in favor of a professor strap type setup

Tried on some 2S pads yesterday.  A "deal" at $700, except the boot strap was missing and the knee stack felt weird after being in the butterfly.  5-hole closure was great though in the senior xs size.  I could even slide on the carpet at the store, so on ice they must be fantastic.  Nice and light too.

I visually checked out some Vaughn VE8s and some Warrior GT4s.  Really nothing special imo.  Checked out some Brian's Gnetik and Optik2 - pretty much in love.  Didn't try them on though, no sense in doing so when I'm not buying new (at least not at full retail price!).  

I picked up some Brian's toe straps and some new knee pads to keep my current pads going - worked okay last night.  Think I will wait for an end of season sale and try to score a decent deal on some new pads in the spring.

Archived