Attaching knee guard tabs

Quadzilla32

Hey guys,

I have some knee tabs that I want to put into my pants so I have the option of lacing in my knee guards. The knee guards tabs already have small holes punched into them and it was suggested that I use some type of adhesive AND sew them in too. 

How have you guys attached tabs, if you even have? I was thinking of using shoe goo or something along those lines and try to find a way to sew the tabs in  

any suggestions would be awesome  

Hands down the best way to tackle a job like this is with the Speedy Stitcher sewing awl. Lots of YouTube videos out there explaining how it works. With the heavy waxed thread that is included, you don’t need adhesive. In fact, the adhesive will gum things up unnecessarily when you are sewing. The tricky thing may be finding the best part of the pants to attach the tabs. 

11 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Hands down the best way to tackle a job like this is with the Speedy Stitcher sewing awl. Lots of YouTube videos out there explaining how it works. With the heavy waxed thread that is included, you don’t need adhesive. In fact, the adhesive will gum things up unnecessarily when you are sewing. The tricky thing may be finding the best part of the pants to attach the tabs. 

I’m going to try and attach them just to the inner part of the thigh area like any other pant. I was going to leave it to a professional and have a shoe repair / sew shop attach them. I looked into the awl and liked it but I just don’t know how I would get to the backside of the seem. All the videos I watched you hade to be able to get to both sides... unless I’m wrong. 

18 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

I’m going to try and attach them just to the inner part of the thigh area like any other pant. I was going to leave it to a professional and have a shoe repair / sew shop attach them. I looked into the awl and liked it but I just don’t know how I would get to the backside of the seem. All the videos I watched you hade to be able to get to both sides... unless I’m wrong. 

The awl needle might be too thick and cause the tabs to rip out once you put some stress on them.

Probably needs a sewing machine to do it.

Some pants (like Vaughn) have removable padding with velcro closure at the top of the thigh pads.

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

The awl needle might be too thick and cause the tabs to rip out once you put some stress on them.

Probably needs a sewing machine to do it.

Some pants (like Vaughn) have removable padding with velcro closure at the top of the thigh pads.

Hmm I’ll snoop around and see if they have that too. I think I saw something like that actually when I was checking them out. Thank you for reminding me! 

On 5/18/2020 at 6:37 PM, Quadzilla32 said:

Hmm I’ll snoop around and see if they have that too. I think I saw something like that actually when I was checking them out. Thank you for reminding me! 

If you have access to then innards of the thighs, you'll probably want to sew your tabs to a patch of jenpro both on the inside and outside of the thigh...if that makes sense.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

If you have access to then innards of the thighs, you'll probably want to sew your tabs to a patch of jenpro both on the inside and outside of the thigh...if that makes sense.

That makes sense I’m not sure if that is possible or if someplace could do that.  These are the tabs they are already attached to a large piece of jenpro

image.thumb.jpeg.70a5368b252ff36ffa7b5de435d7e75e.jpeg

1 hour ago, Quadzilla32 said:

That makes sense I’m not sure if that is possible or if someplace could do that.  These are the tabs they are already attached to a large piece of jenpro

image.thumb.jpeg.70a5368b252ff36ffa7b5de435d7e75e.jpeg

Ok that is perfect.  If you could get another piece of jenpro to use as a backer that would be perfect.  Reason to do this is it gives something sturdier to sew to than just nylon.  Its a reinforcement. 

58 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Ok that is perfect.  If you could get another piece of jenpro to use as a backer that would be perfect.  Reason to do this is it gives something sturdier to sew to than just nylon.  Its a reinforcement. 

Aahhh got ya that makes sense instead of having flimsy nylon it will give a sturdy grounding for it. Thank you for the idea! 

Archived