CCM AB Pro vs. Modern C/As

Teezle

How does the CCM AB Pro chest protector stack up against more modern chest protectors, like the new CCM Premier/Axis lines or Passau/Kenesky? Size aside, are there any advantages that the older model retains compared to the new stuff?

1 hour ago, Teezle said:

How does the CCM AB Pro chest protector stack up against more modern chest protectors, like the new CCM Premier/Axis lines or Passau/Kenesky? Size aside, are there any advantages that the older model retains compared to the new stuff?

The design is based off the Reebok P1, which is about 15 years old at this point.  I think it owes it's current popularity to a few factors:

• Pro use.  They're creatures of habit and chesties are likely a very personal piece of equipment for all of them.
  • Size/mobility.  They straddle the fine line of being well proportioned and not too huge or too slim.

The Passau is based off the old Vaughn 5500, and the Kenesky is based off the P1, but built to new NHL specs.

IMO the new 'best in class' is the pro-exclusive CCM unit. 

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/goalie/goalie-chest-arm-protectors/2280594-ccm-pro-chest-protector-pro-stock

1 hour ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

I can let you know that on 2 occasions I have gotten bruises the size of a baseball in the belly area with the latest premiers, I complained and they didn't care. I think that Axis added the extra protection in that area. I ended up finding a beefed up version and happy with it. 

Oof. Good to know.

I'm currently in a GT2 Pro that I am very happy with - great protection and pretty good mobility (not as mobile as my old Vaughn C/A from HS, but 30+ year old me appreciates not being covered in bruises that I thought were manly back then). I saw an AB pro in my size and for a good price on sideline swap, so I thought I'd ask for opinions on it because it always seemed so popular.

20 hours ago, Teezle said:

There is nothing wrong with that unit. Many pros jumped to Kenesky when the specs changed because Kenesky would build a P1/AP Pro styly chesty and CCM would not.

Archived