How much wobble is acceptable?

Hey guys,

just got my new OTNY eco in the mail and I have been messing around with the fit and seem no matter how tight I make the backplate I still have some sort of wobble when I shake my head back and forth. Not a lot but still not face tight. 

little bummed out since I waited 7 weeks to get the mask. My head circumference was a hair over 22 and ordered a mask size 22-22.5, as suggested by OTNY. Both masks are Bauer profile. 

Is a little mask wobble acceptable? It definitely  feels more protective than my other mask which is a fusion MMX with padding that is rock hard and about 10+ years old. The OTNY feels good so far but I’m worried about when the foam breaks in that the wobble is only going to increase. 

47 minutes ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Hey guys,

just got my new OTNY eco in the mail and I have been messing around with the fit and seem no matter how tight I make the backplate I still have some sort of wobble when I shake my head back and forth. Not a lot but still not face tight. 

little bummed out since I waited 7 weeks to get the mask. My head circumference was a hair over 22 and ordered a mask size 22-22.5, as suggested by OTNY. Both masks are Bauer profile. 

Is a little mask wobble acceptable? It definitely  feels more protective than my other mask which is a fusion MMX with padding that is rock hard and about 10+ years old. The OTNY feels good so far but I’m worried about when the foam breaks in that the wobble is only going to increase. 

No.  It should not wobble.  A proper fitting mask should not move around your head.  Although sadly 90% of people I see have a mask that is way too loose.  Honestly, your problem could be as simple of a fix as a better harness.  If the shell fits well but the harness can't keep it tight enough to not move then replace it.  I had that problem with my Protechsport.  The stock harness was just too flexible.  I bought a Pro's Choice harness, much more stiff, and the mask doesn't move.  Highly recommend swapping.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

No.  It should not wobble.  A proper fitting mask should not move around your head.  Although sadly 90% of people I see have a mask that is way too loose.  Honestly, your problem could be as simple of a fix as a better harness.  If the shell fits well but the harness can't keep it tight enough to not move then replace it.  I had that problem with my Protechsport.  The stock harness was just too flexible.  I bought a Pro's Choice harness, much more stiff, and the mask doesn't move.  Highly recommend swapping.

The shell itself fits well and doesn’t have any giant gaps. I’ll give the harness a shot and see if that helps. Pro choice makes some nice ones? 

1 minute ago, Quadzilla32 said:

The shell itself fits well and doesn’t have any giant gaps. I’ll give the harness a shot and see if that helps. Pro choice makes some nice ones? 

His harness is phenomenal.  I should say his elastic is.  Neither of my masks have a traditional five point harness.  My Pro's Choice has individual straps but they're sewn instead of buttons like he does on his quicksnap harness.  For my Protechsport I bought elastic straps from Dom and I had them made into outsider straps exactly like you would find on goalieparts.com.  I actually tried those too, prior to getting the PC ones.  While the Outsider straps were better than the stock Protechsport harness, it still was not enough for my liking.  I did love the design though so I just improved it with better velcro.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

His harness is phenomenal.  I should say his elastic is.  Neither of my masks have a traditional five point harness.  My Pro's Choice has individual straps but they're sewn instead of buttons like he does on his quicksnap harness.  For my Protechsport I bought elastic straps from Dom and I had them made into outsider straps exactly like you would find on goalieparts.com.  I actually tried those too, prior to getting the PC ones.  While the Outsider straps were better than the stock Protechsport harness, it still was not enough for my liking.  I did love the design though so I just improved it with better velcro.

I’ll have to give them a look, I really like the open backplate strapping that the mask comes stock with. Thank you for the help. 

7 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Hey guys,

Just checking...is the issue with the backplate or is it the fit of the foam padding of the mask? I've always had to add thin pieces of foam to the padding around the high cheekbone area to snug things up so my mask doesn't move on me.    

8 hours ago, Supergoalie said:

Just checking...is the issue with the backplate or is it the fit of the foam padding of the mask? I've always had to add thin pieces of foam to the padding around the high cheekbone area to snug things up so my mask doesn't move on me.    

The mask fits nicely in the face it’s just when I shake my head I feel a little wiggle. Granted I do shake pretty vigorously so idk if it’s really realistic. I held the chin and moved my head back and forth and there was very minimum movement. 

"How much wobble is acceptable?"

Well, if it doesn't fall down... :D

In all seriousness, I had the same issue (and then some) with the X8 I received over a month ago and ended up returning for a refund. As best as companies try, our head/facial structure is as distinct from one person to another, so much that one size (s,m,l) does not fit all, even with adjustments. I think that more often than none, the issue isn't the shell per say but the foam inside. Contact points make all the difference, hence why I always and still enjoy my remoldable ReidiC. Very hard to replace other than going full custom.  

5 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

The mask fits nicely in the face it’s just when I shake my head I feel a little wiggle. Granted I do shake pretty vigorously so idk if it’s really realistic. I held the chin and moved my head back and forth and there was very minimum movement. 

I can practically head bang in my masks and they're not going anywhere.  I'm telling you that PC elastic is top notch.

47 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I can practically head bang in my masks and they're not going anywhere.  I'm telling you that PC elastic is top notch.

Did you get them sewn from PC or do it yourself? I see their website has buttons but idk how long those would last. I like the idea that you mentioned of sewing it to make it last longer. You mentioned you used the GP ones too, did you find the PC harness to be better material? 

many chance you could post a pic of your straps? 

11 minutes ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Did you get them sewn from PC or do it yourself? I see their website has buttons but idk how long those would last. I like the idea that you mentioned of sewing it to make it last longer. You mentioned you used the GP ones too, did you find the PC harness to be better material? 

many chance you could post a pic of your straps? 

Dom sewed it before it was sent to me.  I've never used the buttoned one, I don't like that design.  Yes as I stated in the quote post below, the PC material is better than the ones from GP.  I am working until 11pm(eastern), I can take some pictures for you when I get home.  The ones I had made look exactly like the ones found on GP.  I popped the stitches on those and reused the jenpro tabs with the PC elastic.

20 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

still trying to dial in the mask with OTNY. I contacted them about swapping out backplate since OTNY exuded to make a special backplate just for them and screws in the harness instead of having openings. So far I got the suggestion the tighten the chin cup but in order to get the mask to fit tight I have to make the chin cup so tight it’s uncomfortable. 

I used the stock thin sweatband on two of the pictures below and I noticed there is a much larger gap around my temple. In order to get the gap gone I had to sue a thicker sweatband, which actually made the mask more comfortable. 

77334089-1FFB-4243-8C41-647D5785A3BB.jpeg

B1BB2FD1-BFB8-4B2D-A2D0-029E33BC035B.jpeg

62CE5E7D-E8A4-42A8-AAFF-8966921789A1.jpeg

896BCC04-30D8-4B3B-AAA8-D4A700E108C4.jpeg

Archived