Tutorial on replacing blocker binding?

botpixel

Are there any resources or step-by-step guides on replacing the binding on a blocker? I think I understand the general construction, but I still don't know what I'm doing or what material to use to replace it. Any info would be of help, thanks. I'm wearing a Vaughn V4 waffle blocker but I assume the process is mostly similar for most modern exterior-bound blockers.

Unless you have a nice and powerful upholstery sewing machine, a walking foot and a binding folder, it is near to impossible to replace it yourself. Essentially, the binding is 2” across, and the folder folds it twice at 1/2” on each side. You will also need a walking foot attachment in order to push down all of that material. I thought that I could *just* sew on a new binding. Nope. Tried it and FAILED. Unless one of the other modder/repair people have done this without the equipment I said is needed, it’s almost impossible to do yourself. 

Now- if someone can show me something that will knock me down with a feather, please show us!

Edited by bunnyman666

2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Unless you have a nice and powerful upholstery sewing machine, a walking foot and a binding folder, it is near to impossible to replace it yourself. Essentially, the binding is 2” across, and the folder folds it twice at 1/2” on each side. You will also need a walking foot attachment in order to push down all of that material. I thought that I could *just* sew on a new binding. Nope. Tried it and FAILED. Unless one of the other modder/repair people have done this without the equipment I said is needed, it’s almost impossible to do yourself. 

Now- if someone can show me something that will knock me down with a feather, please show us!

I always do everything manually

18 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Okay- I have been knocked down with a feather!

Chance given have use it and whip you with another feather 😅 Only gently though. And yes I do have a Pfaff with walker which helps in sewing bindings. No guide or binding folder yet.

The hardest thing is to find that binding material. I haven't yet succeeded in finding a source but I know that when I need to get some of it I'll contact Varusteverstas (Kova Goalie) here in Finland. 

Edited by ArdeFIN

3 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

Chance given have use it and whip you with another feather 😅 Only gently though. And yes I do have a Pfaff with walker which helps in sewing bindings. No guide or binding folder yet.

The hardest thing is to find that binding material. I haven't yet succeeded in finding a source but I know that when I need to get some of it I'll contact Varusteverstas (Kova Goalie) here in Finland. 

That walking foot attachment is key, frankly. Binding ribbon itself is pretty lightweight, but when it gets folded is when it gets hard to puncture for a stitch. 

I do have several binding folders at my disposal now, though I have not tested these out yet. My wife would kill me if I wrecked her Kenmore (more than likely a Singer in disguise), so I am trying to get something more stout.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I just sourced some binding material on Amazon for a glove project, that being said I’m working on getting one of the leather shoe patcher machines from Amazon working for an economical gear mod/repair machine. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0823476KN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_93KFCNSVK0Q5483R6EBF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K2DYDHY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_BC5BXETX671AVQ2WNP6V

I’ve been scouring FB marketplace and the like for an antique all metal singer for some of the lighter stuff I could do with a roller foot. Right now all I have done is on an awl or with a hand me down 20 year old entry level Brother machine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wishEMT said:

I just sourced some binding material on Amazon for a glove project, that being said I’m working on getting one of the leather shoe patcher machines from Amazon working for an economical gear mod/repair machine. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0823476KN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_93KFCNSVK0Q5483R6EBF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K2DYDHY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_BC5BXETX671AVQ2WNP6V

I’ve been scouring FB marketplace and the like for an antique all metal singer for some of the lighter stuff I could do with a roller foot. Right now all I have done is on an awl or with a hand me down 20 year old entry level Brother machine.

This needs to be pinned!

• 1 year later...