Bauer 2X blocker upkeep & insight

ArdeFIN

A bit of a design flaw here, the plastic cover over thumb is too big to fit into the "pouch" and while Bauer has done good job on the edge with extra jenpro binding and all the softer fabric inside is worn out. Repairing this would need the whole thumb protector to be opened, fixed and sewn back. I just left it be to see how it goes and if it wears out worse in short time then I'll get back to it. This is the only odd spot of wear on this blocker.

IMG_20210709_204608_8x6.jpg.d958747f99b46ff6ea1a68049a7490cf.jpg

As I usually do I washed this blocker with the basic winegar-water mix and then detergent+water and multiple rinse. After washing it I noticed the padding between hand and plate (that small bagged foam) was completely flattened which might be one reason to get too much feeling of the shots through the plate.

After investigating I was happy to notice that only one seam is holding the bag on place, so open it up and get bag out, renew the padding and replace. I used 10mm LD foam and 10mm MD foam instead of original 20mm LD foam.

[picture of it missing]

Here's the seam I removed. The bag stays on place without any stiching so simple upgrade here. 

IMG_20210710_174438_8x6.jpg.765947fffa85332fb9012557921b8944.jpg

Then to part that everyone was waiting; what is the plate made of and how much it is broken?

It's made of styrofoam, a material that I would never consider for a blocker plate. It's built from styrene balls bonded together and because of that it's very easy to crack when bent as the bonding between the balls is pretty weak. And this is the result. On the both edges next to the Curv material there is also a crack through the whole plate. 

Some PUR glue (I would use a styrofoam glue if available) and it's pretty rigid again. But it will crack again unfortunately.

IMG_20210709_205722_8x6.jpg.a4aef4c55ae10c8b6e6ec160c4455ce9.jpg

So the Curv is really used in the mid level blocker, well done Bauer! First look tells that it's reinforcing the edges but I couldn't really see if there was any more of it. On the front side of the plate there is 10mm layer of HD foam bonded to styrofoam and some soft rubberlike foam on top of that. And something is loose between these layers too. A bit of a digging to get the layers separated and yes, the Curv really goes through the whole plate which is a lot better than Vaughns partially covered idea.

Curv sheet is bonded to the foams and less than surprisingly the bonding has failed. Very sparingly used glue and then heavy bending of plate has worked it out. Second reason to get stingers through the plate.

Some polymer glue in there and once again compression for 24 hours and now I have a rigid plate that isn't really bending at all.

IMG_20210710_172326_8x6.jpg.8dce3b39e689a1d0cc22f13538d4ce2e.jpg

Then it was only to put all parts together again and we area ready to go. I really like the structure of this glove as it opens really wide at the longer edge and side plate flipping away so it's really easy to make some fixes or do some heavier mods if needed.

Short one here but gave some insight on what Bauer is putting into the mid level gear these days. Just makes me wonder what better can they do with pro level gear that would cost so much more? Except print the "PRO" label on.

I believe the foam construction you’re showing is a cheaper method to make. It’s moulded in, only necessitating to trim the flash when finished. Cutting from foam blocks is much more expensive and it produces waste. The uplevel blocker nay either be cut foam or a higher quality of foam.

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

I believe the foam construction you’re showing is a cheaper method to make. It’s moulded in, only necessitating to trim the flash when finished. Cutting from foam blocks is much more expensive and it produces waste. The uplevel blocker nay either be cut foam or a higher quality of foam.

the same material has been used in the pro level pads by both Bauer and Lefebvre since P1

6 minutes ago, ser33 said:

the same material has been used in the pro level pads by both Bauer and Lefebvre since P1

True. But there are different grades, just like with anything else. There has to be a cost differential, particularly when budget, midline and pro are built side-by-each and the labour cost is nearly identical. 

3 hours ago, ser33 said:

I did some research and there are certainly many different grades and styles of that style of foam. We are talking a few cents per square meter different in price, but it certainly makes a difference in production runs. Some of that type of foam is actually meant to destruct to a degree upon impact in the case of a bicycle helmet. There are many gear manufacturers that refuse to use that style of foam both for the shoppe set up costs and durability factors. I have never taken apart a Reebok Premier XLT pad, but I understand that this style of foam is in there, as this is one chief reason why the thigh drop is pre-formed. In many styles of pads, this style of foam is used to build the sides and the leg tunnel. It is not a bad material at all, but it isn’t perfect for all uses.

On 7/31/2021 at 5:55 PM, bunnyman666 said:

True. But there are different grades, just like with anything else. There has to be a cost differential, particularly when budget, midline and pro are built side-by-each and the labour cost is nearly identical. 

true. but based on my experience, manufacturers use polystyrene similar in density to construction foam used for insulation. Pictured below is the styrofoam used by Bauer in their pro model 1S pad. by the way, its density is lower than that of the foam used by Reebok for the Premier 4 knee stack and thermal box, which I used to strengthen my Brians Opt1k core.

IMG_20210802_180502.jpg

IMG_20210802_180518.jpg

Edited by ser33

4 hours ago, ser33 said:

true. but based on my experience, manufacturers use polystyrene similar in density to construction foam used for insulation. Pictured below is the styrofoam used by Bauer in their pro model 1S pad. by the way, its density is lower than that of the foam used by Reebok for the Premier 4 knee stack and thermal box, which I used to strengthen my Brians Opt1k core.

IMG_20210802_180502.jpg

IMG_20210802_180518.jpg

You sometimes have to wonder if there is any thought in regards to the long-term durability when these foams are spec’d. I know that performance is a priority over durability. Bead foam like that was never intended for impacts. If durability was the main benchmark, we’d still be in something like early 2000s Lefevre pads that were probably the best combination of performance and durability. They used foam sheets for the form and stuffed faces. Still flexible, but didn’t settle and provided the nylon didn’t rot and the Jenpro didn’t have holes, extremely durable.  I played in a pair that I had rebuilt a few weeks back and they performed admirably, if not a bit heavy and extremely soft. Of course hot rebounds were a no no, and though lighter than the leather/hair/kapok pads, they were certainly lighter than what they had replaced just twenty years prior. I have been dissecting pads for quite awhile; next will be a rebuild of the TPS pads minus Brock tubes.  

On 7/31/2021 at 5:55 PM, bunnyman666 said:

my answer was relevant to this comment of yours. I have no doubts, and my 1S core photo confirms that Bauer uses the same materials for the professional and senior viscera. up to the use of CURV on older models. on the contrary, the use of different materials leads to higher production costs. difference in outdoor materials. as for the significant difference in price between professional and average, then it is not necessary to look for it in the cost of materials

ps I've been doing pads picking and stuff for a long time too. and that's why I say all this

Edited by ser33

2 hours ago, ser33 said:

my answer was relevant to this comment of yours. I have no doubts, and my 1S core photo confirms that Bauer uses the same materials for the professional and senior viscera. up to the use of CURV on older models. on the contrary, the use of different materials leads to higher production costs. difference in outdoor materials. as for the significant difference in price between professional and average, then it is not necessary to look for it in the cost of materials

ps I've been doing pads picking and stuff for a long time too. and that's why I say all this

The terrible palm plastics and felt hinge in CCM/Reebok has been the same for a very long time across the entire line. I pulled one apart and it said something like CCM/Reebok 14K or something like that. I do, indeed understand where you’re coming from there. I know it’s the externals, the amount of features, steps in manufacturing, level of competency of the worker that also determines the gear level, as well. On the three bike lines I was going to put out, the “budget sport” had the same frame as the race ready pro; just the components and the paint was different. The budget sport sample I received had terrible paint. I am glad my name never got onto those bikes LOL