ArdeFIN Posted January 28, 2022 Share Posted January 28, 2022 (edited) So while we have been in shutdown since the mid december I've had some time to work with my next C/A to get it done and ready for use when ever we get back on ice. It might be in a few weeks already as the Omicron variant has been fast spreading. The project involves C/A and pants that I bought from a retired fellow goalie. He had these ordered from Simmons about 5 years ago. Pretty good shape with some wear here and there and puck marks to tell that not everything has passed by. The C/A was also paired with Simmons own beef up kit, which includes a padding sheet to sternum area and extra sheets for elbow floaters. The shoulder floaters really make this C/A look wide and huge while it doesn't really feel bulky when wearing the unit. Padding on torso is close to what all manufacturers offer involving squared padding with multiple layers of different materials. The hands feel like Vaughn, thin and not very confident. Doubled elbow floaters are thick and feel protective enough. Overall feeling of the unit is pretty mobile, adjustments are really good and simple enough so it took me a little effort and time to fit the unit on my body. Mobility is ok, hands do feel tight and more so when reaching my chin or back of the head which is at the edge and just reachable. Would be wearable as it is, but for arms I would need extra padding right away to feel confident of the protection. And just to mention this unit has been running for five years already. As usual I managed to toss or miss all of the new-to-me pictures so I'll just jump to the project. First one is evidence of being used, rusty eyelets. They had eaten the lace also so just took them off. The jenpro there is plenty to keep the lacing and arms in place. Sideview from the buckles, both of the original ones were broken which I actually didn't even notice when looking this through. So they were still doing their job but for how long. Problem here is once again having no protection for them at all. Then some additional padding. In the torso there was a sheet of soft foam padding that didn't cover belly area at all. As the intention is to use this setup untucked I thought not to add too much material here as it will be lifted off by the pants, but some extra is needed. Noticing also that side padding didn't include any soft foam to make that beloved airbag. 10mm thick foam with support fabric on both sides was used. The cutout on top is to fit the original foam sheet. Comparison of what was added and what was there already. With the chesty opened from the bottom seam I had access to the floater elastics that were pretty much done and floaters all around. Removed the original ones and added new elastics with velcro on both sides. These strap in between the floaters that are double layered and velcroed together. Picture of that is missing too. The clavicle protection has been an issue for me lately with the FrankenCCM and this Simmons design had similar problems possibly originating. So I took the plate of and modified it quite a lot afterall to get the result I wanted. And that installed on place, the bottom elastic requires access to insides of C/A so there's no need sew through all layers but only the top one. I'll return here with some more pictures and progress of the project. Edited January 28, 2022 by ArdeFIN 4 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.