Good neck guard to prevent skate blade cuts?

I've been using this neck guard: https://goalie.purehockey.com/product/warrior-ritual-x3-e-goalie-neck-guard-senior/itm/46509-41/ but after getting some flash backs of Clint Malarchuk and a few rushes to the net I find that this guard doesn't go up high enough, it really just has a small lip, and down below it just provides clavicle protection.

I wasn't sure if something like this: https://goalie.purehockey.com/product/aegis-interceptor-pro-g-goalie-neck-guard-senior/itm/43129-41/ would be better, but not be too uncomfortable and restrict movement. I have a problem when things are too tight around my neck where I start to gag. I cannot even wear tight collar shirts, or even a tight turtle neck.

Just want to make sure my neck is fully protected. I currently use the Warrior Ritual X3 E+, and a Dangler as well. Any advice? Or maybe I'm just going overboard? Sometimes I play with lower divisions so the net get crashed, and when down skates are moving a bit too close for comfort!

Hey so I wear an Aegis, and it's quite comfy for me and I feel like it could work for you as well because you can take the 3DO foam out of the neck portion and cut it down to size a bit if you need less height for comfort.

Have a read here 

Edited by johncho
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, johncho said:

Hey so I wear an Aegis, and it's quite comfy for me and I feel like it could work for you as well because you can take the 3DO foam out of the neck portion and cut it down to size a bit if you need less height for comfort.

Have a read here 

Thanks! I just checked locally as I like to try these things on and nobody has any Pro-G models, not even a stock issue they just don't carry them. Everyone only has the Aegis Senior Interceptor Hockey Goalie Neck Guard only, so I'm not sure how much different the Pro-G is going to be compared to the non Pro-G. My main concern is skate blades, but I still want that clavicle protection that I had with my warrior as my chest protector is more old school and I need that extra padding.

I can order one in online, just need to be sure the fit is going to be good. Otherwise I can just get the non Pro-G model.

Edited by OldSchoolGoalie

I went and tried on a Pro-G and it wasn't comfortable, the non Pro-G was a bit better but the foam around the neck didn't allow me to tilt my head down without digging in, and I would be forced to cut the foam.

I tried to get a Bauer as it has fabric around the neck as well, but stock is out until the end of November, and the last one I could find was the CCM 900 https://www.thehockeyshop.com/products/ccm-900-senior-goalie-neck-guard which has a soft fabric at the neck, and all I'm worried about there is skate blades. I use a dangler and my mask already provides enough protection on top of that.

Hopefully this works and was the right choice!

11 hours ago, johncho said:

Have a read here 

I also wear an Aegis; not the goalie version, but the player version. I don't care for the extra clavicle padding.

So for the most part the CCM 900 works really well, I barely feel it. The main problem I had and maybe I just need to tighten it a bit more as the fabric in the center does flop down a bit making a sharper v. I understand that having foam would prevent this, but I just am too sensitive to any pressure there, and cannot tilt my head down.

If I keep my regular stance I have full coverage of anything exposed, and during impact with my chin tucked in I'm fine, but these close calls normally happen when down and a rush to the net had been made.

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, GoalieInTheDesertYT said:

If you are looking for something to prevent neck cuts have you thought about taking cut proof material and making a cut proof layer for you neck? 
something like a cut proof sock for you neck.

I could probably just use the player ones that wrap around the neck. I already use a dangler and CCM goalie neck guard which is BNQ Certified, it is just the fabric doesn't really stay up, it flops down.