Removing Puck marks?

Vanniek71

So, I'm not a newb to removing puck marks, I used to use Simple Green and a magic eraser - I came across a video from Essan at BAHR saying you shouldn't use magic eraser because it removes some layers of the Jenpro.

He uses Goof off and then "Padgic" (isopropyl, peroxide and baking soda mixture) and it works great. But I have only seen a video of him using it on white gear. I read a comment where a user said he could see color on his towel after using the Goof Off on his colored pads and it removed the shine. I tested it on a toe bridge (I have Blue and Yellow pads) and some color does come off and the shine is gone. I wiped it down with some silicone spray and the shine came back, but there has to be something to the color coming off.... I don't want to shorten the life of the Jenpro, but would love to clean these pads up. Maybe the color coming off is just the price to pay to clean my gear up?

So my question is what say you? What methods do you use? 

Edited by Vanniek71

5 hours ago, Vanniek71 said:

So, I'm not a newb to removing puck marks, I used to use Simple Green and a magic eraser - I came across a video from Essan at BAHR saying you shouldn't use magic eraser because it removes some layers of the Jenpro.

He uses Goof off and then "Padgic" (isopropyl, peroxide and baking soda mixture) and it works great. But I have only seen a video of him using it on white gear. I read a comment where a user said he could see color on his towel after using the Goof Off on his colored pads and it removed the shine. I tested it on a toe bridge (I have Blue and Yellow pads) and some color does come off and the shine is gone. I wiped it down with some silicone spray and the shine came back, but there has to be something to the color coming off.... I don't want to shorten the life of the Jenpro, but would love to clean these pads up. Maybe the color coming off is just the price to pay to clean my gear up?

So my question is what say you? What methods do you use? 

Magic Eraser is an abrasive (melamine foam), so basically think of it like sandpaper.  You're not just stripping away puck marks, but also a microscopic top layer of the jenpro.

RE: the Essan method - you are correct
Goof Off contains a number of chemicals, including but not limited to some that are active ingredients in commercial paint thinners: ethylbenzene, acetone, xylene
These chemicals are gonna dry out your Jenpro.  What he's recommending is probably just as bad as Magic Eraser.

I'd guess repeated use is going to accelerate the process to making your pads develop spiderweb deterioration like this:

image.png.02b509d2008e9b81b131af4553b29ff3.png

I think an truly reputable gear repair shop would recommend a mix of mild soap, water, a rag, and some elbow grease to clean your gear.  It won't get as clean as either of the above methods.  But if long-term durability is top of mind, this is the way to go.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...