Brians SR level gear

xmikex32

Brian's used to be head and shoulders over a lot of the other MFGs in the overseas space.   But, as Coopa said, the mid point stuff is all pretty much on par these days.   If you want the lightest, go Warrior.   The most tech crammed into a Sr level pad?  Bauer.   Both Brian's and Vaughn added Quikslide on their mid-price stuff a generation or two back, so that's a major plus for them.   Most mid-priced gear is good enough for high school, college club or high level beer league.

I had an Optik 9.0 set prior to my Gnetik V’s.  I used them for about a year playing 1-3x/week, they held up great.  Pads definitely loosened up and got a little softer in the boot pretty quickly, but overall the quality was pretty good for the price point.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jerd31 said:

I had an Optik 9.0 set prior to my Gnetik V’s.  I used them for about a year playing 1-3x/week, they held up great.  Pads definitely loosened up and got a little softer in the boot pretty quickly, but overall the quality was pretty good for the price point.  

How stiff were they? I'm currently in warrior G/5 Pros and I don't mind a little boot flex, I actually prefer it but i like the thigh rise to stay stiff. I'm torn between Bauer or these new Brians line. I know SR level stuff wont compare to their pro line but playing 1/2 times a week in BL at mid to lower level doesn't really warrant 2k+ pads, as much as i would like the justify it. 

21 minutes ago, xmikex32 said:

How stiff were they? I'm currently in warrior G/5 Pros and I don't mind a little boot flex, I actually prefer it but i like the thigh rise to stay stiff. I'm torn between Bauer or these new Brians line. I know SR level stuff wont compare to their pro line but playing 1/2 times a week in BL at mid to lower level doesn't really warrant 2k+ pads, as much as i would like the justify it. 

I had G5 Sr's before them and the Brian's were stiffer in the knee- I felt the Warrior's were pretty soft in the knee/thigh.  My Gnetik V's with stock breaks are definitely stiffer than both.  From what I understand, the Optik 9.0's were kind of a middle ground between the Optik and Gnetik lines.

12 minutes ago, jerd31 said:

I had G5 Sr's before them and the Brian's were stiffer in the knee- I felt the Warrior's were pretty soft in the knee/thigh.  My Gnetik V's with stock breaks are definitely stiffer than both.  From what I understand, the Optik 9.0's were kind of a middle ground between the Optik and Gnetik lines.

Did you have the glove/blocker too? If so how did you like them?

26 minutes ago, xmikex32 said:

Did you have the glove/blocker too? If so how did you like them?

Yup, I had the whole set.  No complaints, I preferred the Optik 9.0 glove over the Warrior (although I love the removable liner on the Warrior).  Blocker is a blocker lol.  

I did get stingers in the glove when I played in A/B level beer league, but overall was happy with the whole set.  

2 hours ago, jerd31 said:

Yup, I had the whole set.  No complaints, I preferred the Optik 9.0 glove over the Warrior (although I love the removable liner on the Warrior).  Blocker is a blocker lol.  

I did get stingers in the glove when I played in A/B level beer league, but overall was happy with the whole set.  

Catch glove is the one place I'll always pay the extra for pro level stuff.   Not only are they better padded, but the attention to detail (closure) is almost always better as well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Puckstopper said:

Catch glove is the one place I'll always pay the extra for pro level stuff.   Not only are they better padded, but the attention to detail (closure) is almost always better as well.  

I am most likely going to go that route since the one time experience i had with SR level gloves was a RBK 9k and it wouldn't close to save its life and would give me stingers all the time with low level shots. It seems that Brians gloves have their own breaks but would the optik be closer to a warrior r would that be Gnetic? i like the warriors finger the palm feeling.

7 minutes ago, xmikex32 said:

I am most likely going to go that route since the one time experience i had with SR level gloves was a RBK 9k and it wouldn't close to save its life and would give me stingers all the time with low level shots. It seems that Brians gloves have their own breaks but would the optik be closer to a warrior r would that be Gnetic? i like the warriors finger the palm feeling.

I had a gnetik glove before my current True set and it has an interesting feel. They say on there is a video from ingoal media that says it falls into the 600 break family which is why I ended up going with a 600 glove on my new set. However after playing a few games with the new glove I'm not sold on that. When I close my gnetik glove i can do it like a 590 with the fingers or i can do it like a 600 where it goes across the palm. The pocket to me sits more like a 590 then anything else, it's certainly a glove that you have to put on and get a feel for.

39 minutes ago, xmikex32 said:

Brian's kind of do their own thing when it comes to glove breaks. They kind of fall in a "in between" place from many brands. 

Though, as with any glove, the break comparisons are general at best and you really do need to try them on.