My Hip Replacement Surgery [2/24/2023] & Rehab Story

I went in at 6:30, and they wheeled me back around 9:00 a.m. - Vantage Surgery Center in S. Jersey

before I knew it I was awake around noon, groggy and eating some crackers.
they had me walk up and down the hallway once and then I used the Walker to make it out to the car around 2:15.

no hip pain, no groin pain, and I had to get used to my foot pointing forward when I walked 🤣

I made sure to keep my feet parallel while I slept, by rigging up this unused pair of sneakers:
image.thumb.png.557f6e9d47bd75b5b1a1b7dfaa97511f.png
image.thumb.png.3a5c4e7614bf97a726a5c9db1d62865a.png
image.thumb.png.0ca36a9203d2db9f34dd3175828b856c.png

my little boy helping me recover on night 1:

image.png.e954ab8e9df4e1cd59bab99a18cf0790.png

Edited by dean42mvg
  • Like 1

they had me walking for a few minutes every hour that I was awake, starting on day 2:

I started my physical therapy sessions the following Monday.

after 6 weeks of going 2 to 3 times a week, i got or made all the equipment to work out at home
May be an image of trampoline
image.thumb.png.971f1aeea7183d5ea9e5e9ff0bcb55f1.png

here is a video of me walking at 13 days:

my last follow-up visit [until my ONE YEAR exam next February] was supposed to be at 6 weeks, but they needed to schedule it at 5 weeks due to vacation at the office.

I saw my surgeon on the fifth week and he said that I was ahead of schedule.

then I let him know that we were only at 5 weeks, and he could not believe I had made that much progress at only 5 weeks (and not 6 weeks) !!

Edited by dean42mvg
  • Like 2

when I went back to work Monday through Friday, I decided to do rehab at home on Saturday mornings.

on Sundays I wear ankle weights all day.

Mondays & Fridays is workout in goalie gear day.

on Tuesdays Wednesdays and Thursdays I am doing core strengthening workouts.

I was able to get the some old surface from my local DEK rink, and put it in my garage and began full workouts in my street hockey equipment.
here is my first workout at week 14:

Edited by dean42mvg
  • Like 1

I've been able to take street hockey warm-ups, and will be backing up at a men's tournament in late July (with an outside possibility of playing).

my goal is to get back into street hockey around August 25th, which is the 6-month mark.

obviously, I have to listen to my body, but things are looking good, and it appears I am ahead of schedule.

after street hockey, I will start training for roller hockey in my garage. the next roller season starts in the fall, so it looks like I'm on pace to resume roller hockey then.

in September, I will start ice skating at public skates.

here I am at week 16:

Excellent report and based on current technology. My first L Hip Replacement was performed in 2007. Within the next year or so I suspect that it will need replacing as the 100,000 Shot Warranty is soon expiring.

Thanks very much for this comprehensive update.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BiffBadass said:

Good to see a pad slider doing well after surgery. As mentioned, was well after my time and my style is "old goalie"...

Keep 'er going!

thx !!!

but here is the funny part, I am not a pad slider !!

I am in your age category, and started as a stand-up goalie Bernie Patent style, later mixed with a bit of Ron Hextall 🤣

just beginning to slide during games & this practice, along with my ReasonY pads will be invaluable when I get back to DEK !

1687220596514.jpg

Edited by dean42mvg

On 7/3/2023 at 4:28 PM, Fullright said:

well done, dean! totally bad a_ _.

Your dr's thoughts about playing net?....not that his/her thoughts matter. :)

thx !! 💪💪

well, I told him last year that I play hockey, and I'm a goalie ... when he saw me for what he thought was my 6-week evaluation (at 5 weeks) and said that he was amazed at how much progress I had made, only to be further amazed that it was only 5 weeks - he predicted I would be back at the 6-month mark.

his guidelines were to just listen to my body, and it will tell me when I am ready

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dean42mvg said:

thx !! 💪💪

well, I told him last year that I play hockey, and I'm a goalie ... when he saw me for what he thought was my 6-week evaluation (at 5 weeks) and said that he was amazed at how much progress I had made, only to be further amazed that it was only 5 weeks - he predicted I would be back at the 6-month mark.

his guidelines were to just listen to my body, and it will tell me when I am ready

You're welcome. You have a good doctor. Hope your recovery continues.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 9:56 PM, dean42mvg said:

In 2008, 10 months after my hip replacement surgery, the surgeon gave me the same advice. Still ……… it took a clean cut breakaway by a premier player to convince me that my body could take it. I made a save on a close in shot and spread my operated leg to smother the rebound. I was back!

At a post surgery checkup following my knee replacement (2018) the surgeon (different doctor) said in an emphatic tone “No way.” To playing goal. Some pleasure skating but no hockey, especially no goaltending.

I sold my nearly new Brown gear, pads, gloves, C/A, pants and jock. That’s when I discovered Yoga, Aquafit, successful weight loss and my cobwebbed bicycle.

Nine months afterwards I began to play once again. Mind you, with some used but quality gear. I had retained my Harrison mask and Graf Skates.

Granted, I am not playing at a high level, as are most of you. But I am in the game.

I wish you all a long, healthy and fun hockey life.      .👋

IMG_7594.jpeg

Edited by Wonder35
  • Like 2

On 7/8/2023 at 3:19 PM, Wonder35 said:

In 2008, 10 months after my hip replacement surgery, the surgeon gave me the same advice. Still ……… it took a clean cut breakaway by a premier player to convince me that my body could take it. I made a save on a close in shot and spread my operated leg to smother the rebound. I was back!

At a post surgery checkup following my knee replacement (2018) the surgeon (different doctor) said in an emphatic tone “No way.” To playing goal. Some pleasure skating but no hockey, especially no goaltending.

I sold my nearly new Brown gear, pads, gloves, C/A, pants and jock. That’s when I discovered Yoga, Aquafit, successful weight loss and my cobwebbed bicycle.

Nine months afterwards I began to play once again. Mind you, with some used but quality gear. I had retained my Harrison mask and Graf Skates.

Granted, I am not playing at a high level, as are most of you. But I am in the game.

I wish you all a long, healthy and fun hockey life.      .👋

IMG_7594.jpeg

that is awesome !!!💪💪💪

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went as a backup this weekend to my team's ball hockey tournament in Sea Isle City New Jersey ... just a few uneventful mop-up duty minutes, but I can officially say that I am back to playing !! classy gesture by Brian Fioretti ! 🥅💪

#MylecVipers

#SeaIsleCity

1690048497343.jpg

Edited by dean42mvg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1