Circumference is important, but so is face height

Howdy everyone,

I was just trying on helmets, and I found the 960 to fit me a bit funny, and an axis to fit better, and I’m trying to find out why? I’m thinking that the axis fits better on a shorter face… why isn’t this a measurement included by manufacturer?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This should of been answered a while back. Surprised none of our veterans jumped in.

It is true that there is more to consider than just head circumference. Face length, jaw width and even chubby cheeks and nose length can given factors.

I remember when I bought my Hackva, the medium cut too high near my jaw line and the large was too loose on my cheek bones and temples. I couldn't make it fit right.

Not too long ago I bought a Sportsmask X8 but no matter how I adjusted it, the cage was brushing the tip of my nose. Had to return it.

I just placed an order for a Bauer 940 med. and I hope it fits well and I don't have to do the whole mail return/exchange process cause frankly, I don't even know if even the large would fit. My head circumference is kinda at the end of one size mask and at the beginning of the other. My main concern is the jaw line, nose clearance and side wall depth.

All this is without mentioning sight lines with the mask on. Buying a mask is not as simple as one might think. 

When Greg Harrison was taking a mould of my face he cursed my bushy beard, He used yards of Saran food wrap and gobs of Vaseline to flatten my facial hair, cussing the whole while.

By the time my mask was ready I had trimmed my beard substantially. To this day (35+ years later) there is still a tiny gap between my chin and mask whenever I glance down to my feet.

6 hours ago, RichMan said:

This should of been answered a while back. Surprised none of our veterans jumped in.

It is true that there is more to consider than just head circumference. Face length, jaw width and even chubby cheeks and nose length can given factors.

I remember when I bought my Hackva, the medium cut too high near my jaw line and the large was too loose on my cheek bones and temples. I couldn't make it fit right.

Not too long ago I bought a Sportsmask X8 but no matter how I adjusted it, the cage was brushing the tip of my nose. Had to return it.

I just placed an order for a Bauer 940 med. and I hope it fits well and I don't have to do the whole mail return/exchange process cause frankly, I don't even know if even the large would fit. My head circumference is kinda at the end of one size mask and at the beginning of the other. My main concern is the jaw line, nose clearance and side wall depth.

All this is without mentioning sight lines with the mask on. Buying a mask is not as simple as one might think. 

I feel that I was lucky that I fit into the S/M model of Warrior, as my player helmets are large and it was luck that the no-name mask I had fit fine. I found it's best to try on when possible unless it's molded to your head.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ethanallen said:

I feel that I was lucky that I fit into the S/M model of Warrior, as my player helmets are large and it was luck that the no-name mask I had fit fine. I found it's best to try on when possible unless it's molded to your head.

True, unfortunately not all shops are stocked to the roof in inventory. 

• Like 1

So in line with this conversation, I got my 940 in. My head circumference is 57.5cm and so I went with the medium. 

The fit is ok, obviously snug, much more so all over than my Reidic. The cage is the certified one (in case I sub in a CARAH game). It will need some getting used to, again from my loose fitting Reidic and a cat-eye. I intend to get a large-mouth cat-eye soon from Goalie Parts.

My question now is: how close to the jaw line should the mask come in terms of the edges?