Thigh rise corner wear protection

adastra57

16 minutes ago, adastra57 said:

I recently got an amazing set of new-to-me Axis 2's that are no-break stiff. They are already showing signs of wear on the inner corners of the thigh rise where the two pads rub together. Any suggestions on ways to prevent this wear? Padskinz? 3M film?

Unfortunately this is a normal thing with the way pads are made these days. 

3M catches on itself, I would not recommend that as an option. 
I have used a thin layer of Goo Gone or clear nail polish in the past. 

Generally, you’ll get a little wear in this area to start and it will not get worse. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Unfortunately this is a normal thing with the way pads are made these days. 

3M catches on itself, I would not recommend that as an option. 
I have used a thin layer of Goo Gone or clear nail polish in the past. 

Generally, you’ll get a little wear in this area to start and it will not get worse. 

Gotcha. My fear was that the wear would progress and make things worse in the long run. My (much) older set of pads never seemed to develop this kind of wear, I assumed because they were softer.

1 hour ago, adastra57 said:

Gotcha. My fear was that the wear would progress and make things worse in the long run. My (much) older set of pads never seemed to develop this kind of wear, I assumed because they were softer.

Correct, you didn't have a firm-to-hard layer of foam behind the jenpro pushing it out.  Squishy pads would just squish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adastra57 said:

That's good to know, thanks for the reply! Is there a difference between the one you linked and the Vvivid stuff I see mentioned a lot?

P.S. I've always wanted to tell you that your gear reviews have been incredibly insightful and helpful. Thank you!

Thank you! Maybe I'll do a HL2 review one of these days....

I referenced my old set to see where the wear developed and placed some 3M film over the same spots.

I used this same film on the sliding surface on my Mach set and it worked very well for sliding. Never tried the Vivid stuff.

309750446_20210918_140255(Large).jpg.52786e8221f796fce7ed5b39100bb67f.thumb.jpg.1ee20fc860193d84115b34a2d8e36451.jpg

20231004_180532.thumb.jpg.bcc73ac6f32d5e9d30ea473fcd18d9a8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, johncho said:

did you get Type A or B?

I always picked up both, just depends on the type of Jenpro used. I found the Type A worked best on regular Jenpro and the Type B on weave type/ embossed Jenpro. If you want to get just one I would go with Type B because it has more use with the pad materials now. Just follow  the directions thoroughly and it will last a long time.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Thank you! Maybe I'll do a HL2 review one of these days....

I referenced my old set to see where the wear developed and placed some 3M film over the same spots.

I used this same film on the sliding surface on my Mach set and it worked very well for sliding. Never tried the Vivid stuff.

309750446_20210918_140255(Large).jpg.52786e8221f796fce7ed5b39100bb67f.thumb.jpg.1ee20fc860193d84115b34a2d8e36451.jpg

20231004_180532.thumb.jpg.bcc73ac6f32d5e9d30ea473fcd18d9a8.jpg

Thank you for the info and taking the time to take those pics! That is super helpful. I ordered some of the 3M film and will give it a shot. I figure I can always remove it if I experience some of the negative side effects mentioned.

4 hours ago, johncho said:

I've used both of the protection film, and 3M stayed stuck muuuuch better than the other one.

However, there might have been other application factors at hand just so you know.

Good to know! To be honest, I'm still confused what the difference even is. The Vvivid stuff has 3M logos on the backing, so is Vvivid just a Canadian distributor of the stuff or something? 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, adastra57 said:

Good to know! To be honest, I'm still confused what the difference even is. The Vvivid stuff has 3M logos on the backing, so is Vvivid just a Canadian distributor of the stuff or something? 🤷‍♂️

Actually you know what? I'm confused myself. I looked back at my orders, and they were both Vvivid 3M. So probably just the way that I applied, or maybe the material? If I remember correctly, it did not work on my Brian's pads, but it worked super well on my kid's CCM pads (to the point where I had to be careful taking his off at the end of the season). Trying to think of the main differences, both were cleaned beforehand, but I used rubbing alcohol to clean my kid's pads, I used a heat gun only on mine, I also left mine 24 hours before playing, but on his I left it for a couple of days longer.

This is the one I used. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LYZJNWX

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, johncho said:

Actually you know what? I'm confused myself. I looked back at my orders, and they were both Vvivid 3M. So probably just the way that I applied, or maybe the material? If I remember correctly, it did not work on my Brian's pads, but it worked super well on my kid's CCM pads (to the point where I had to be careful taking his off at the end of the season). Trying to think of the main differences, both were cleaned beforehand, but I used rubbing alcohol to clean my kid's pads, I used a heat gun only on mine, I also left mine 24 hours before playing, but on his I left it for a couple of days longer.

This is the one I used. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LYZJNWX

Thank you for the taking the time to check your orders! I went ahead and ordered the same thing you linked (although I think i got the 6" wide version.) I'll give it a shot and see how it does on the CCM speedskin. Thank you for your help and knowledge!

• Like 1