Skate protection

I took a shot off the side of my skate the other night that didn't feel good. There is a slight bruise on my foot and some tenderness. Right when it happened it killed. I was hugging the post and the shooter was way to my right side. I guess he was trying to bank in the shot but it hit the side square on flush and rebounded out

My skates aren't the best but I really like them. 6092 Tacks with cowling. They're very comfortable. They seem stiff to me and don't flex too much with the squeeze test. 

Just wondering are higher end skates more protective in the sides of the boot? Is a stiff boot all about ankle support or are they more protective? Thanks 

So I have a pair the CCM Tacks, which I'm fairly certain is the Pro version of the 6092. 

I've taken a few shots on the outside/inside of the boot and it's never pleasant. Though it's a pretty rare occurrence overall just with how the position is generally played. 

I'm sure the full 1 piece composite boots that are available are more protective, but, IMO, this shouldn't be a major factor in a purchasing decision when coming to a skate. 

• Like 1

thanks coop, at first, I was thinking that there probably are more protective boots out there but then started thinking there might not be. Like you said it doesn't happen a whole lot. It could very well be just a vulnerable spot. Sooner or later, you will get dinged up tending. How bad is another story. 

46 minutes ago, Scythe said:

thanks coop, at first, I was thinking that there probably are more protective boots out there but then started thinking there might not be. Like you said it doesn't happen a whole lot. It could very well be just a vulnerable spot. Sooner or later, you will get dinged up tending. How bad is another story. 

Clearly you're needing an old school full cowling. ;) 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Clearly you're needing an old school full cowling. ;) 

Honestly Coop, even with the oldest of cowling skates from the 70s-80s, the outside of the boot didn't cover much either. Then again, guys back then rarely tried to bank shots off your PLU, instead opting for the pass back into the slot.

The way it's played today, most goalies would be in the RVH or at the very least VH. 

Like you said, it happens so rarely but when it does...sonofabi#%^!

Edited by RichMan
  • Like 2

On 3/11/2024 at 11:08 AM, Scythe said:

I took a shot off the side of my skate the other night that didn't feel good. There is a slight bruise on my foot and some tenderness. Right when it happened it killed. I was hugging the post and the shooter was way to my right side. I guess he was trying to bank in the shot but it hit the side square on flush and rebounded out

My skates aren't the best but I really like them. 6092 Tacks with cowling. They're very comfortable. They seem stiff to me and don't flex too much with the squeeze test. 

Just wondering are higher end skates more protective in the sides of the boot? Is a stiff boot all about ankle support or are they more protective? Thanks 

Would something like this work?

Stole image from here, Binnie's sells them:

https://www.binnieshockey.com/shop-hockey-accessories/custom-ultra-shot-blockers

image.thumb.png.6ca012a9788245711e31a288d029f76d.png

• Like 1