3rd times a charm ?

Scythe

11 hours ago, Scythe said:

How is there even any wisdom left to make an attempt to get an NHL franchise there again? Seriously. The National Hockey League already has enough dud teams in cities that didn't have any business having a franchise in the first place. I get that money talks. But there's so many advertisements all over the rinks, ice, player's equipment, the NHL looks like the figgen Yellow Pages. Find another sport as your platform to make money and leave those really appreciate our game alone.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ChippedWall said:

How is there even any wisdom left to make an attempt to get an NHL franchise there again? Seriously. The National Hockey League already has enough dud teams in cities that didn't have any business having a franchise in the first place. I get that money talks. But there's so many advertisements all over the rinks, ice, player's equipment, the NHL looks like the figgen Yellow Pages. Find another sport as your platform to make money and leave those really appreciate our game alone.

In some cases I'd argue European leagues such as the SHL and NL love the sport more and have to put up with more advertisements. It's not as much about making money there as it is getting more people in the door to watch games and play the sport

how-fans-celebrated-the-opening-games-in-the-swiss-national-v0-jpwgxl49n5pb1.png.b2e292bb8d8552fca54b785e907082cd.png

Edited by ThatCarGuy
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 11:57 AM, ChippedWall said:

How is there even any wisdom left to make an attempt to get an NHL franchise there again? 

I agree.

But- Atlanta is the largest US market without an NHL team. They have NHL quality arena and practice facilities already in place.

Honestly, they're the perfect expansion spot - less the Trashers and Flames failures. lol.

13 minutes ago, MTH said:

I agree.

But- Atlanta is the largest US market without an NHL team. They have NHL quality arena and practice facilities already in place.

Honestly, they're the perfect expansion spot - less the Trashers and Flames failures. lol.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nba-market-size-nfl-mlb-nhl-nielsen-ratings/#:~:text=As of the 2023-24,Worth.

Wanted to do some research to see how true that is and I came across this. Atlanta is right up there for Big 4 veiwership ratings in the USA without a NHL team. Definitely makes sense why they really want to nail down that market if possible. 

Funny enough, Phoenix isn't far behind. Makes sense why Bettman and Co. are just refusing to let the Coyotes leave and keep taking that embarrassment of a franchise on the chin

• Like 1

Technically speaking - a new Atlanta team could start next season there. There's nothing to wait for construction wise.

Although, I presume the Thrashers training facility, offices, space in Phillips Arena have all been sold or leased to other operations a long time ago. It's not like their spaces are still vacant and waiting.