PeeWee practice.

Hockey School Dropout

Went on the ice in my gear for my son's PeeWee practice (house B) this morning as the second goalie (rare full ice practice!).  

OMG I was exhausted after.  I spent almost all the practice going down and getting back up.  I'm used to 30 second bursts with some rest in between!

I left with my ego mostly intact.....some of those kids can snipe!  But oddly enough, still satisfying to deny them.

41 minutes ago, Hockey School Dropout said:

Went on the ice in my gear for my son's PeeWee practice (house B) this morning as the second goalie (rare full ice practice!).  

OMG I was exhausted after.  I spent almost all the practice going down and getting back up.  I'm used to 30 second bursts with some rest in between!

I left with my ego mostly intact.....some of those kids can snipe!  But oddly enough, still satisfying to deny them.

Good on ya! Being an on-ice helper sure beats freezing your arse off on a 2x4 that was bolted to a slab of perma-frost concrete! I sure don’t sit and watch my kid's Novice practices from the stands anymore - no, sir!

I don't know if y'all have heard of Billy Pye but last summer I was doing a clinic with him and there were a couple other goalies who didn't show up so Billy let my dad practice with us teenage goalies. He was so unbelievably tired after that practice. 

On another note I've done the opposite of this several times. I'm a high school freshmen but I've participated in a lot of adult drop-ins to get some extra practice in.

On 10/20/2018 at 10:08 AM, Hockey School Dropout said:

The skill in youth hockey is incredible now-a-days (mainly the goalies). Personally I think my JV team might need some help because I can shoot/pick corners better than the majority of our JV team.

There is nothing more satisfying than denying someone younger and more talented than you the opportunity to score (except maybe stacking the pads or performing a windmill on that same person).

• 4 weeks later...

The adult games are cool. Especially at the lower levels. Most are dads too, so having your kid out there is pretty special. 

I played with the Gaudreau family a few times. Johnny you know, but his two brothers and his dad all out there in a game. Wish I could have played hockey with my dad. 

The mask is the two flags of Scotland.

546dff53e6b51914831d145bdd1a8780.jpg

2 hours ago, MTH said:

The adult games are cool. Especially at the lower levels. Most are dads too, so having your kid out there is pretty special. 

I played with the Gaudreau family a few times. Johnny you know, but his two brothers and his dad all out there in a game. Wish I could have played hockey with my dad. 

The mask is the two flags of Scotland.

546dff53e6b51914831d145bdd1a8780.jpg

I did play those games illegally technically. Nobody could tell the difference because I'm taller than most of the guys in beer league. I also usually sub because my dad got hurt and couldn't find a sub.

That's awesome that you got to play with them. I've had practice with Mike Modano once and he's come to watch several of our games when the travel team I used to play for still existed. I've also done goalie practices with Marty Turco, Kenny Carrol (I don't blame you if you don't know him but he's ex NHL), and Billy Pye (I don't blame you if you don't know him either.)

I've always liked split mask designs.

Archived