Video editing apps

Hockey School Dropout

Okay.....I currently use Windows Movie Maker (WMM) to edit my videos.  It works fine, and it's simple + FREE.

However, with getting a new GoPro at Christmas, I would like to use something that will save the video at high quality.  WMM kinda does, but it's old.

What do you use for editing?  I'd like something that has the feel of WMM with a viewing pane and a slider for easy editing.  Easy learning curve - I'm no professional and don't have a desire to be one.  Finally, as low cost as possible.  Again, not a pro video editor.  I only use it for editing my game footage.

Oh yes, I use a PC.

TIA 

On 1/12/2019 at 7:50 PM, cwarnar said:

Better than iMovie?

I 2nd that question is Final Cut Pro better than iMovie? 

I have been filming both ends of games at home games and wondering if it would be possible to have the two sets of raw footages side by side to edit down 

On 1/12/2019 at 6:50 PM, cwarnar said:

Better than iMovie?

21 hours ago, Imperative said:

I 2nd that question is Final Cut Pro better than iMovie? 

I have been filming both ends of games at home games and wondering if it would be possible to have the two sets of raw footages side by side to edit down 

It’s absolutely better than iMovie because it’s WAY more powerful. That said, the interface is almost identical to iMovie so it’s not a bad idea to start with that because it’s free and move to FCPX once you hit a point where you need the advanced features (you very well may never need FCPX depending on what you’re trying to do). 

As for two sources at the same time, yes. “Multi cam” is the google term you’re looking for.

• 1 month later...

For the OP on a PC - Shotcut. It’s a free, open source option with plenty of support and YouTube tutorials. I used it for 5 of my videos this year.

Having said that, as as an iPad user, iMovie is the simplest, easiest option hands down. Easy to learn and use interface - your finger is way easier to use than learning keyboard shortcuts - and you can edit anywhere you use your iPad. Like in bed, watching TV, cooking dinner and yes, there, but I haven’t. Yep, I love editing on my iPad vs sitting at the desk using my computer, which I do all day for work (I am a freelance Autocad tech).

For most of us, all we are doing is editing out the non-action parts. I apply a standard fade transition between clips and add a title at the beginning. For the “last goal” segment I speed up the video and zoom in on the far goal when it isn’t scored on me. And that’s it. I can edit a 90 minute session in less than an hour now wherever I use my iPad.

Archived