Padded shirt?

Hey guys so I hurt my rib/ribcage playing and it’s happened one other time and it hurts like hell to walk for more than 10 seconds but it doesn’t hurt when playing sports oddly enough. Anyways can someone link me a shirt that has good padding especially all around  the ribs area

23 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

Hey guys so I hurt my rib/ribcage playing and it’s happened one other time and it hurts like hell to walk for more than 10 seconds but it doesn’t hurt when playing sports oddly enough. Anyways can someone link me a shirt that has good padding especially all around  the ribs area

Here are a few threads on the subject already... I'd also ask how loose you wear your C/A? I know a shot can find its way to a gap on occasion but if this is something that happens fairly often it may be worth trying to wear it a bit tighter to allow the existing rib protection to do its thing. 

29 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Here are a few threads on the subject already... I'd also ask how loose you wear your C/A? I know a shot can find its way to a gap on occasion but if this is something that happens fairly often it may be worth trying to wear it a bit tighter to allow the existing rib protection to do its thing. 

I make the straps as tight to my body as they go, and I also tie a piece skate lace around the whole chesty and my suspenders which makes it extremely tight to my body and I also tuck it 

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

Also I rarely get shots that sting, some shots i can feel it for like a couple seconds but I didn’t notice hurting my ribs until It started hurting when  walking around a couple days ago

32 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

Also I rarely get shots that sting, some shots i can feel it for like a couple seconds but I didn’t notice hurting my ribs until It started hurting when  walking around a couple days ago

What kind of chestie are you using, and how old is it? The padding on the chest and ribs should be the thickest on the whole of the unit, even if it's only the second time this has happened I'd think that's cause for concern. You should maybe look at upgrading. Last year's models should be on sale right now, so you could probably pick up a pro-spec unit at a pretty decent discount (if you can find your size).

Is it possible that you  wearing it too tight then?  Seems like, in theory, if it's too tight then the impact from shots will be more likely to make contact with your body than if the chestie was more loose. 

Just a thought.

3 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

I make the straps as tight to my body as they go, and I also tie a piece skate lace around the whole chesty and my suspenders which makes it extremely tight to my body and I also tuck it 

2 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

Interesting. Is it through the C/A's rib protection or in that odd place under the armpit at the top of the rib cage you're hurting?

I ask because all of the ones mentioned in the other threads were goalie specific and have varying levels of additional padding elsewhere. All will have more heat build up than a plain compression shirt alone... but the more padding the more build up. If your problem area is ribs alone and it's middle of the ribs... maybe more like a quarterback's shirt... 

image.png.d297c6a6042fdaba3342f1831881295c.png

https://www.evoshield.com/en-us/protective-gear/rib-shirt/adult-performance-rib-shirt?gclid=CjwKCAjwqLblBRBYEiwAV3pCJqNbi0Gj9Lj9CGcgin6_vAgm3LffA0Fw1rqFWbwESbTVtkzrMI353hoCYuIQAvD_BwE&ef_id=CjwKCAjwqLblBRBYEiwAV3pCJqNbi0Gj9Lj9CGcgin6_vAgm3LffA0Fw1rqFWbwESbTVtkzrMI353hoCYuIQAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!8492!3!190590951810!!!s!296574813749!&CMPID=Google-evoshield_sn_shopping-beta---c-190590951810-

1 hour ago, CJ Boiss said:

What kind of chestie are you using, and how old is it? The padding on the chest and ribs should be the thickest on the whole of the unit, even if it's only the second time this has happened I'd think that's cause for concern. You should maybe look at upgrading. Last year's models should be on sale right now, so you could probably pick up a pro-spec unit at a pretty decent discount (if you can find your size).

Brian’s optik about 4-5 months old at most

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

Interesting. Is it through the C/A's rib protection or in that odd place under the armpit at the top of the rib cage you're hurting?

I ask because all of the ones mentioned in the other threads were goalie specific and have varying levels of additional padding elsewhere. All will have more heat build up than a plain compression shirt alone... but the more padding the more build up. If your problem area is ribs alone and it's middle of the ribs... maybe more like a quarterback's shirt... 

image.png.d297c6a6042fdaba3342f1831881295c.png

https://www.evoshield.com/en-us/protective-gear/rib-shirt/adult-performance-rib-shirt?gclid=CjwKCAjwqLblBRBYEiwAV3pCJqNbi0Gj9Lj9CGcgin6_vAgm3LffA0Fw1rqFWbwESbTVtkzrMI353hoCYuIQAvD_BwE&ef_id=CjwKCAjwqLblBRBYEiwAV3pCJqNbi0Gj9Lj9CGcgin6_vAgm3LffA0Fw1rqFWbwESbTVtkzrMI353hoCYuIQAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!8492!3!190590951810!!!s!296574813749!&CMPID=Google-evoshield_sn_shopping-beta---c-190590951810-

This looks good do they have it with long sleeves though that’s a deal breaker if not 

5 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

Brian’s optik about 4-5 months old at most

Don't know what to tell you then, Brian's are normally pretty tanky (even the Senior gear).

Is it possible that it's muscle strain/fatigue, and has nothing to do with taking shots there? Wearing your chestie tight around your ribs might help alleviate that kind of discomfort the same way that compression clothing does, which would explain why you're feeling it off the ice and not when you're playing.

If you have a compression shirt, or something you can wrap tight around your ribs, maybe wear it throughout the day to see if that helps. And it couldn't hurt to try some stretching exercises.

If you still have your old chestie, it might also be worth wearing that for a while to see if it's the new gear that's causing the issue.

• 3 months later...

Archived