Travel Tips

Matt

Going on a 10 day Eruopean tour with a hockey group in a couple of weeks.  Any tips travelling with goalie gear.  My kid is adult sized, so we're talking big stuff here.

I'm currently debating if I should buy a big bag that will hold all his gear (pads included), or could take two bags and put his pads in a separate bag.  I have to gets this clarified, but I'm being told that the gear bag will count has our one checked bag so I'll be on the hook to pay for extra bags...

Stick it all in one bag.  You'll probably be charged oversized fee, but that'll be cheaper than checking three pieces.

Pretty sure sticks will count as another piece, I recommend taping or binding them together inside a stick bag.

Otherwise, don't talk to strangers in dark alleys and avoid the gypsies

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

Stick it all in one bag.  You'll probably be charged oversized fee, but that'll be cheaper than checking three pieces.

Pretty sure sticks will count as another piece, I recommend taping or binding them together inside a stick bag.

Otherwise, don't talk to strangers in dark alleys and avoid the gypsies

Packing everything into one bag also reduces the chances that something gets lost by the airline; can't play with only half your gear, so all splitting it into two bags does is give the airline two chances to screw you over.

all good ideas!  Thanks.

I don't have to worry about sticks as we have some kind of team stick bag so that should take care of that.  I'll see what my options are around here for a big bag.  He could use a new one anyway, the club ones we keep getting are crap.

48 minutes ago, Matt said:

all good ideas!  Thanks.

I don't have to worry about sticks as we have some kind of team stick bag so that should take care of that.  I'll see what my options are around here for a big bag.  He could use a new one anyway, the club ones we keep getting are crap.

Mammoth. You can fit EVERYTHING in it, plus a few souvenirs. Durable as fook. I’ve had mine for two years. It would be perfect for your application, though in the premium priced realm.

12 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Mammoth. You can fit EVERYTHING in it, plus a few souvenirs. Durable as fook. I’ve had mine for two years. It would be perfect for your application, though in the premium priced realm.

Holy crap!  You ain't kidding.  That is a nice bag, but at over $300 CDN + shipping I don't think I can swing it.

Thanks, I'll take a look.  There are a couple of stores in town that have bags about the same size as JRZ.  I might buy one and see how it all fits.  Easy local return if it doesn't work...

Amazon has a couple of big bags that might work too.  Not really hockey bags, but at the price they are asking they would be a good short term alternative...

The Warrior ones are built like tanks.  I had one for two years and it never got a scratch.  Ended up giving it away to a guy who got his gear stolen.

Depending on his age/size, he could probably fit everything in one of them.

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipment/bags/carry-goalie-bags/warrior-goalie-equipment-pro-bag.html

I highly suspect JRZ is manufacturing these bags for Warrior and True - they are virtually identical

On 4/10/2019 at 2:35 PM, Chenner29 said:

Depends on the airline but generally not the case. I did the research recently. Messaged every major US airline asking them to confirm their hockey equipment policies. In almost all cases, the linear length (H + W + D) of almost any adult sized hockey bag, let alone goalie bag, will exceed even the maximum for hockey bags. It's kind of silly, but I confirmed with all of them. 

Delta: $200 if over 80 linear inches + $100 if over 50lbs

Southwest: $75 if over 80 linear inches + $75 if over 50lbs

JetBlue: Hockey equipment exempt from all oversize/overweight fees

American Airlines: $150 total for overweight and/or oversize (my last trip on AA they charged me the non-sporting goods over-size fee of $200 and would have charged me $100 additional for over-weight if I hadn't been flying first class)

Of course if you're flying to Europe then you'll have to look that up, but I'd be anticipating a couple hundred bucks at least for a single bag. My recommendation would be pads in a pad bag (Bauer and Passau both make similar ones), and a player bag for the rest of the gear, with the mask as a carry-on just to save some space in that bag.

So it would REALLY depend on what the checked bag fee is for your airline, but for domestic airlines at least it's almost certainly going to be cheaper to have multiple bags. 

So I ended up picking up a bag at our local PHL yesterday.  The bag is huge, almost too big.  42"x20"x20".  It fits all his stuff comfortably.  Its so big that I'm not sure if he will want to use it for just regular no travel usage.  The store gave me a few bucks off so that didn't hurt.  

I'll do some checking with the airline, see what the weight/size policies are.

I appreciate all the feedback!  Thanks all!

Archived