Waxed Laces Recommendations Needed

Anyone have a recommendation of good waxed laces? I just bought a pair of Howie's Waxed laces on Amazon and this thing is a joke, I can't feel any wax on these laces. I've had Elite Hockey laces and those have some wax but still not much. I remember laces from 10 years ago that had wax on them that would last for seasons. These new laces all look like they are made by the same manufacturer which doesn't properly wax the laces.

1 hour ago, Kaveman42 said:

Anyone have a recommendation of good waxed laces? I just bought a pair of Howie's Waxed laces on Amazon and this thing is a joke, I can't feel any wax on these laces. I've had Elite Hockey laces and those have some wax but still not much. I remember laces from 10 years ago that had wax on them that would last for seasons. These new laces all look like they are made by the same manufacturer which doesn't properly wax the laces.

Quality waxed laces shouldn't feel "waxy". An excess amount of wax is, I've found, indicative of a manufacturer who doesn't really know what they're doing.

I mostly use Elite waxed laces. I had to make some emergencies purchases from a pro-shop recently (run by Gus Thorson, who is phenomenal), I think the brand they sell is Laga (can't remember exactly), and they feel virtually identical to the Elite laces I normally use, which have served me well for years. Neither is overly waxy. (if nothing else, I trust that Gus wouldn't be selling a crap product)

31 minutes ago, Kaveman42 said:

Shouldn't a wax lace be able to hold itself up a little bit at least? The ones from Howie's is just limp, there is no stiffness that should be expected of waxed laces.

Waxed laces should be pre-stretched, hold their tightness when lacing, and be water resistant enough that they don't soak up moisture during play. All of this can be done without waxing them so much that they are stiff.

That doesn't mean laces that have been waxed stiff don't work, but by no means is it necessary or an indication of quality construction.

I used to like Elite because they were thin and easy to thread through eyelets. I recently tried Howie’s and find them way better. The elite laces give and stretch over time. I’ve found the Howie’s hold their form much better which equals a consistent tightens game over game 

Archived