How to add a leather knee strap to my Bauer Vapor 1X's

Does anyone know how this could be done? For the buckle I would probably just add a very small amount of elastic to a buckle and stitch it through the back nylon, or else stitch a square patch of jenpro, to the back nylon, with a hole for the buckle. The part I am having the most trouble deciding how to do, is how to add the actual strap. My only idea would be to stitch hook, and loop Velcro back to back, with a slit, put the strap through the slit, and then put this in one of the two Velcro sandwiches in the knee block. I am just worried that this would affect the knee block, or the strap. For reference, the strap won't be tight, and will just be an "insurance" strap, because the elastic is very stretchy, and I keep falling off the block.

12 hours ago, #16 said:

Does anyone know how this could be done? For the buckle I would probably just add a very small amount of elastic to a buckle and stitch it through the back nylon, or else stitch a square patch of jenpro, to the back nylon, with a hole for the buckle. The part I am having the most trouble deciding how to do, is how to add the actual strap. My only idea would be to stitch hook, and loop Velcro back to back, with a slit, put the strap through the slit, and then put this in one of the two Velcro sandwiches in the knee block. I am just worried that this would affect the knee block, or the strap. For reference, the strap won't be tight, and will just be an "insurance" strap, because the elastic is very stretchy, and I keep falling off the block.

I'm having this issue with my knee falling off the block due to the elastic stretching too much on my 1X's.  I'm thinking of adding a professor strap to keep my knee on the block.  My be an easier/cheaper solution than adding a leather strap.

2 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Seconding this. I got some for my 1X's and transferred them to my 2x Pros. My five hole has never been tighter. The perfect solution to this problem, and completely removable/replaceable.

Interesting... i bought a set of these to just tinker and didn't really like them much... but I have held onto them... and my 2X Pros should be in my hands this time next month.

17 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Interesting... i bought a set of these to just tinker and didn't really like them much... but I have held onto them... and my 2X Pros should be in my hands this time next month.

They take some fiddling. If you got the nylon webbing, they can sometime work themselves loose. I'm not sure how to stop that other than to sew the ends down. But once they're in, they're great. I find it works best for me if they're tightened enough to only allow about a finger of slack. They'll feel very weird almost to the point of restrictive when you're walking to the ice, but once you're in your stance you don't notice them. I've tried them both in addition to and in place of the TuneFit strap. I prefer them without the TuneFit, but I have been using them in addition to the TuneFit ever since I took a shot off the buckle and it broke, leaving my pads floppy for a couple periods. The TuneFit stays as a redundant backup plan.

Ok, here are a couple pics the third one is a "test" strap. It's a strap off a pair of old reactors, and the velcro is some dollarama sticker velcro. It held well in my basement and didnt feel wierd, but I will definitely be doing something more permanent. Probably just an old strap plus some velcro off amazon. What I realized though, is I have no idea how to attach the buckle. I'm worried that if I just stitch it in using elastic it will tear the nylon, Im thinking if I can find some jenpro I will make a pocket with a strap hole and sew it on. If anyone has any ideas feel free to share.

20190924_202325.jpg

20190924_202301.jpg

20190924_202346.jpg

10 hours ago, Deltadre said:

I'm having this issue with my knee falling off the block due to the elastic stretching too much on my 1X's.  I'm thinking of adding a professor strap to keep my knee on the block.  My be an easier/cheaper solution than adding a leather strap.

Wouldn't it be more expensive? If I remember correctly they're 60 CAD  whereas I can take the leather straps off an old set of pads.

I've decided to just go with the leather strap and buckle. I'm thinking I will just put the buckle through the nylon and hope for the best. Does anyone know where the best attachment point would be, between my fingers, though?

15693777558198661693852540325790.jpg

@#16... maybe a better solution would be new elastics at the knee stack... maybe double elastic to hold tighter? I only say that because while the leather would provide a "maximum length" by not stretching... I'd bet you'll end up wearing it relatively loose. The double will not only hold tighter but also won't require you to have to configure the buckle side. What do you think?

My suggestion purely comes from my own experience as I modded the wrap on my current EFs. I ended up keeping the knee leather loose to the point where it was actually useless... and I'd hate to see you cut open that seam at the outside binding to sew in the buckle only to find it's maybe a vestigial organ.

16 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

They take some fiddling. If you got the nylon webbing, they can sometime work themselves loose. I'm not sure how to stop that other than to sew the ends down. But once they're in, they're great. I find it works best for me if they're tightened enough to only allow about a finger of slack. They'll feel very weird almost to the point of restrictive when you're walking to the ice, but once you're in your stance you don't notice them. I've tried them both in addition to and in place of the TuneFit strap. I prefer them without the TuneFit, but I have been using them in addition to the TuneFit ever since I took a shot off the buckle and it broke, leaving my pads floppy for a couple periods. The TuneFit stays as a redundant backup plan.

I do have the nylon webbing version... but very much to plan to do my best to dial in the TuneFit before trying to add any other straps. Honestly I'm just anxious to receive the damn things.

3 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

I do have the nylon webbing version... but very much to plan to do my best to dial in the TuneFit before trying to add any other straps. Honestly I'm just anxious to receive the damn things.

You'll love them! In my experience though, the 2x Pro is a bit stiffer than the 1x. I haven't been able to put much of a curve into them past what was given to the factory. The trapper will take some getting used to if you're used to the 1x. It definitely closes easier, but it's a completely different feel. 

27 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

You'll love them! In my experience though, the 2x Pro is a bit stiffer than the 1x. I haven't been able to put much of a curve into them past what was given to the factory. The trapper will take some getting used to if you're used to the 1x. It definitely closes easier, but it's a completely different feel. 

I'm sure I'll like them... and I'd agree on the stiffness... although that's the direction i'm intentionally moving towards. As for the trapper it was a pleasant surprise and one of the reason I pulled the trigger on a True Design set. I'm coming from YEARS of 580... and the 2X break felt good. I'll likely need to tie it up overlapped during break-in to get it just right... but happy that it's closure lined up much better than 2S does. Actually anxious for all pieces including the blocker. Felt good and balanced.

7 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

@#16... maybe a better solution would be new elastics at the knee stack... maybe double elastic to hold tighter? I only say that because while the leather would provide a "maximum length" by not stretching... I'd bet you'll end up wearing it relatively loose. The double will not only hold tighter but also won't require you to have to configure the buckle side. What do you think?

My suggestion purely comes from my own experience as I modded the wrap on my current EFs. I ended up keeping the knee leather loose to the point where it was actually useless... and I'd hate to see you cut open that seam at the outside binding to sew in the buckle only to find it's maybe a vestigial organ.

The stock elastic is already two pieces. the other problem is that, even if I did get it tight enough, the velcro is pretty worn out, and I think if the elastic strap had to hold my weight on the pad, the velcro would pull apart. I will also probably have to pull the seam apart already, because the previous owner moved the leg channel wall from its original position, and attached it to the seam. Just have to find some strong thread now...

Archived