Reffing in my True Goalie skates

Puckstopper

Hey @Tim_TRUEHockey quick question.   If i wanted to use my new True 2 piece skates for reffing would there be anything structurally that would prevent me from putting some forward steel on them (goalie steel is prohibited) to do this?  I already experimented with some forward steel that we had at the shop and it seems like it would fit the holder that's on my goalie skate.   Obviously I won't have the tendon guard, but that's less of a concern for me when reffing than when I'm playing forward.  I can't imagine that the goalie boot is built that differently than the forward boot but wanted to check. 

16 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Hey @Tim_TRUEHockey quick question.   If i wanted to use my new True 2 piece skates for reffing would there be anything structurally that would prevent me from putting some forward steel on them (goalie steel is prohibited) to do this?  I already experimented with some forward steel that we had at the shop and it seems like it would fit the holder that's on my goalie skate.   Obviously I won't have the tendon guard, but that's less of a concern for me when reffing than when I'm playing forward.  I can't imagine that the goalie boot is built that differently than the forward boot but wanted to check. 

You can’t ref with goalie skates?

My understanding is that ref skates are to be all black with white laces (as the standard). Yes, that is getting harder to maintain because of skates being made with colors in them.  But the fact is, if we are to kick out anyone who is playing in unsafe skates, then that would apply to the ref as well.

Rule 302 | Skates

(a) All participants must wear hockey skates of a design approved by the Rules Committee. The use of speed skates, figure skates or any skate so designed that it may cause injury is prohibited.

When the Referee becomes aware that any player is wearing skates that are not designed for hockey and are deemed to be unsafe, he shall order that player off the ice immediately and such player shall not be permitted to participate further in the game until the skates are replaced. 

(b) No additional equipment or contrivance shall be attached to the skates of any player or goalkeeper.

Good points Loki.  I take shit every year for the little bit of white trim on my skates.  The standards for ref's equipment are different than players (much more restrictive) and some guys I ref with are absolutely BRUTAL to you if you don't look right.  Not that I blame them, the job is hard enough without someone out there looking unprofessional.

3 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Nope, for the same reason you aren't supposed to skate out in them.  The front and rear aren't rounded and can cause injury.  It's not directly in the rulebook, but is covered in the casebook that all officials are tested on yearly.

Hockey.JPG

That’s dumb lol. I don’t think there is any harm in trying to put the forward steel in. If it doesn’t fit it doesn’t fit only harm I could see is you try to force it in and brake the holder.  Don’t trust me though :) I’m clueless

8 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Good points Loki.  I take shit every year for the little bit of white trim on my skates.  The standards for ref's equipment are different than players (much more restrictive) and some guys I ref with are absolutely BRUTAL to you if you don't look right.  Not that I blame them, the job is hard enough without someone out there looking unprofessional.

Where would you even be able to get all black skates?

On 9/24/2019 at 5:43 PM, Puckstopper said:

Put a pair of player blades and go, the only difference between the goali skate and player skate is the tendon protector on the player skate. That’s why it’s an afterthought on their player skate.

Archived