Dropout's 19/20 season

Hockey School Dropout

• 2 weeks later...

Okay.  Thus begins the theme for this season:  refs who don't have a clue.  The rule in this league (as confirmed by the league president last week) is if the goalie's mask is hit by a puck, the play is dead regardless of outcome.  I have been hit in the mask 4 times so far this season and 0 times has the play been called dead, 2 times of which the puck has gone into the net.  Both goals stood.  The best part was in this game, after I was hit in the mask and the goal counted, we scored one off their goalie's head and it was called back.  Brutal.  Anyway, onto the show:

On 2/1/2020 at 12:24 AM, Hockey School Dropout said:

Okay.  Thus begins the theme for this season:  refs who don't have a clue.  The rule in this league (as confirmed by the league president last week) is if the goalie's mask is hit by a puck, the play is dead regardless of outcome.  I have been hit in the mask 4 times so far this season and 0 times has the play been called dead, 2 times of which the puck has gone into the net.  Both goals stood.  The best part was in this game, after I was hit in the mask and the goal counted, we scored one off their goalie's head and it was called back.  Brutal

Just wondering how the conversation went with the ref you had?  is it a matter of them not seeing it or something else?  if it is maybe need to start soccer exaggeration the head hits!!! LOL!

Basically went like this.....

Me:  The puck hit me in the mask

Ref:  Huh?

Me:  The puck hit my mask, so the play should be dead and goal disallowed.

Ref: Uh, I didn't see it.

Me: What the f*** were you looking at then as the play was right in front of me

Ref: My partner didn't see it either

Me:  Good to know you can read his mind as he isn't over here and he was out near the neutral zone.

Ref:  Well I didn't see it.

Me: Then what the f*** are you here for?  If you aren't watching the game just go home.

Later after I gloved the puck and one-time batted it to the boards.....

Ref: You need to cool it

Me: *waves hand in brushing away motion* Just go away.

Once I get to other videos, I've had 2 other conversations about being hit in the mask.  Another "didn't see it" conversation similar to above and the last one was "it's ref's discretion to blow it or not".  I believe that is correct in most adult league play, however this league has the rule that puck hits mask, play is immediately dead.  In my last game the other goalie got hit in the mask and play was blown down right away.  Someone got the memo at least.  We'll see what happens next time I get hit.

15 hours ago, Hockey School Dropout said:

Me: Then what the f*** are you here for?  If you aren't watching the game just go home.

Later after I gloved the puck and one-time batted it to the boards.....

Ref: You need to cool it

Me: *waves hand in brushing away motion* Just go away.

Nice, and no where does it say you need to hand the puck to the ref...  just out of mutual respect (which he did nothing to earn/keep)

I'm sure there is mutual disrespect.  I have zero issue with pointing out when they are wrong.  Or simply not acting in the best interest of the players.  I'm no angel in this.  

These are the same refs that give me warnings about moving players out of my crease.  Their dialogue consists of telling me the goal won't count if the player is in the crease.  Pardon me, but I can't trust them to see things happening right in front of them so I'm not going to count on them calling back a goal when someone is in the crease.  Players are allowed to try and screen but they aren't allowed to sit in my lap or prevent me from moving.  So, I move them so I can see or move to the appropriate area to make a stop.  

In my last game, I had a guy crash though the crease, spin me around and then put the puck in the net.  I believe I was interfered with, but given the refs we have, there is little point in arguing anymore.  I'll just take the number, and welcome him back accordingly in our next matchup.

13 hours ago, Hockey School Dropout said:

This game was not my best.  Had a couple "wardrobe malfunctions" too.  Fortunately the guys in front of me had a good night.

Aw, man - your “wardrobe malfunction” comment was total click bait; thought I was going to see some T&A - you big tease!😂
Tough luck with the pad! It was hard to tell from the video, but was it only the boot strap that was causing you problems? It almost looked like the pad was coming away from your leg at one point. Can’t believe how well you did given the circumstances. Something not right with gear, and I can’t stop thinking about it and fidgeting etc. Throws my whole “sub-mediocre” game down the crapper! 
That funny bounce out of the corner at 5:50 that went right through your crease was familiar. Do some guys play that bounce purposely on shoot ins? At Potvin (Richcraft Sensplex East), the Zamboni doors jut out in a way that savvy vets who play there a lot can shoot it in such a way that it goes along the boards and comes right into the slot. 

40 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Aw, man - your “wardrobe malfunction” comment was total click bait; thought I was going to see some T&A - you big tease!😂
Tough luck with the pad! It was hard to tell from the video, but was it only the boot strap that was causing you problems? It almost looked like the pad was coming away from your leg at one point. Can’t believe how well you did given the circumstances. Something not right with gear, and I can’t stop thinking about it and fidgeting etc. Throws my whole “sub-mediocre” game down the crapper! 
That funny bounce out of the corner at 5:50 that went right through your crease was familiar. Do some guys play that bounce purposely on shoot ins? At Potvin (Richcraft Sensplex East), the Zamboni doors jut out in a way that savvy vets who play there a lot can shoot it in such a way that it goes along the boards and comes right into the slot. 

Yeah, part was boot strap came loose.  The other part was the pad completely over-rotated and when I went to recover I just couldn't.  Easy goal for them.  That is the danger of playing without toe ties.  I have however gone with a set of smart strap cords which are working out quite nicely.  No hip or knee strain.

As to the bounce, that has not happened before in my recollection.  The zamboni doors are directly behind the net so there isn't anything in corner to aim for to create a bounce like that.  I was just lucky enough to get out of the way and not knock it in!

Archived