Reading backhanded shots

dreadlocked1

I've discovered that I struggle on reading backhand shots.  So have a few of the teams I play against.  My game was cancelled last night, so I got open ice.  Just me and 1 other guy and different drills for little over an hour.  He was very generous and ran constant half circles through the circles and shot back hand over and over for a portion of the ice time.  While this certainly helped, does anyone have any suggestions or videos to help me along?  I feel like I can't read the shot off the stick ever.  Nothing like a regular shot.

I read backhand shots like a Greek novel, I have no clue. Reacting to a backhand shot never works out, you have to do a drop and block thing. Move up, lock up, and take away as much net as you can. Or else some extreme active-hands, and move up your glove as close to the shooters stick blade as you can.

9 hours ago, estogoalie said:

I read backhand shots like a Greek novel, I have no clue. Reacting to a backhand shot never works out, you have to do a drop and block thing. Move up, lock up, and take away as much net as you can. Or else some extreme active-hands, and move up your glove as close to the shooters stick blade as you can.

Absolutely this ^.

As much a goalie may have difficultly with backhanders, about 99% of the folks confident enough to fire one off don't even know where the puck is headed.  

Archived