Foot Pain in 2S Skates

Peter36

I'm coming from a size 7.5 S170 skate, and now I'm using a size 9 2S. They don't feel too big, and I had them baked. However, I'm having a lot of pain on the outside of my foot, which starts about a third of the way through practice. Also, towards the end of practice I will have pain on my ankle as well. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? I can't bake them again, can I?

7.5 to 9 seems like a huge jump in sizes. The side-foot pain may be due to your foot sitting in a part of the boot that wasn't made to accommodate that particular part of your foot. 

Regarding the ankle pain, I recommend tying the top two eyelets looser and the instep more snug than what you're accustom to. I do not have a lacing recommendation for the side-foot pain.

1 hour ago, dualshowman said:

7.5 to 9 seems like a huge jump in sizes. The side-foot pain may be due to your foot sitting in a part of the boot that wasn't made to accommodate that particular part of your foot. 

Regarding the ankle pain, I recommend tying the top two eyelets looser and the instep more snug than what you're accustom to. I do not have a lacing recommendation for the side-foot pain.

The 7.5s were definitely too small when I got out of them. I wear a size 10.5 shoe, so they have a little bit of growing room, but not a ton.

1 hour ago, creasecollector said:

You can definitely bake them again. 

Different skates, but when I got my used new-to-meTrue skates (I moved from a smaller to big size as well), I baked them a total of two times before they felt right. Haven't had any issues since.

Ok I was just wondering,because I heard it could possible ruin your skates, something about they aren't meant to be baked more then once.

4 hours ago, Peter36 said:

Ok I was just wondering,because I heard it could possible ruin your skates, something about they aren't meant to be baked more then once.

I wouldn't have recommended baking your S170s more than a couple times, but your 2S's are made of much higher end materials and can be baked repeatedly without concern.   I would either try True's "tissue trick" (Google it) or if your LHS has a good boot punch and someone who knows how to use it just have them punch the area that gives you trouble.  After punching my 1S skates they were much more comfortable!

7 hours ago, Peter36 said:

The skates are made to be baked, so no need to worry about it ruining the skates. They are meant to be under that kind of pressure. A couple bakes is not as big of a deal as you think.

Archived