Must see video of my chat with Don Straus

Vaytch

I recently had the chance to chat with legendary artist and mask-maker Don Straus, I took this opportunity to ask him about a particular website that sells mask replicas of former NHL goalies. (Don asked me not to mention the website, but you know the one)

Everyone that bought or thought about buying something from that website NEEDS to watch this video. We, as goalies, have to raise awareness on the subject. Feel free to share it where ever you'd like. Thanks

Thanks for doing this! Huge discussion and love hearing from the artists/makers directly.  

IP issues aside, GMC has bothered me for a long time, even just as a fan.  Most of the replicas simply don't look right.  For example, they put a Marty paint job on a 961 ripoff shell.  I just hate that the customer is getting a shitty quality shell, with a low quality replica paint job, but sold at a premium price point.  It's really for the customer that doesn't know what they're getting.  They are duping customers.  And being worse to the artists.  And the former players that autograph these replicas, man, they are really turning a blind eye to this! It's not even on their radar.  

Now about the IP part.  I do have one issue with it.  As a fan of the game, influenced by the big name goalies that came before me, if I want to get a Beezer replica mask to sit on a shelf and look cool in a man cave, am i just not supposed to do that?  What if I found an old Armadilla - is Don the only one that could paint it for me?  What if he doesn't want to do that, like how he doesn't want to make new masks anymore.  The interview didn't really cover this.  As a fan/customer looking to do the right thing, but wanting to (for example) add a beezer mask to my collection, what other choice do I have?  It's a bit frustrating since there's no official channel.  I would gladly pay Don to get something done (he seems like a great dude BTW), and if fact, pay more because it would be an authentic replica, but it's not even an option.

I think the successful NHL mask makers (former and current) should band together and set up an eCommerce platform to take orders for actual authentic mask replicas and offer the painting through established, verified channels, or directly (if they paint).  This has been going on for 30 years as Don mentions.  I'm sure there are real dollars at stake. If they did this, they could also pool resources and be more aggressive on the legal side.  Would love to see GMC go away.     

• Andy from GMC is a tool and should be ashamed of himself for garbage shells with botched paint jobs that he pays next to nothing for and charges a crazy premium as mentioned above.  I'm not going to delve into the whole artistry ripoff because I don't know the actual legality of it but if you're going to make money on replicas, at least offer a product worth your price. 
  • The comment about likening ripping off art to child molestation is bonkers.  The fact that it was said and then he doubled down per your reply on The Goalieverse is beyond me.  I am a big fan of Don and his work, but I cannot believe he hasn't asked you to edit that out.  It's really callous, inappropriate and a complete false equivalency. 

@Goalline He still paints masks and will do a Beezer if asked ;)

@Hockey3081 I think he's starting to realize that times have changed and that it wasn't a good idea to say that "to illicite a reaction", he's not a bad guy at all and is completely against that kind of behaviour. Honestly all he was trying to say was that it wasn't right that his "children" were getting abused by third parties that have no rights to do so. I do agree that he could have worded it a LOT better. Still it shouldn't distract us from the real issue at hand, the counterfeit industry.

22 hours ago, Goalline said:

Thanks for doing this! Huge discussion and love hearing from the artists/makers directly.  

IP issues aside, GMC has bothered me for a long time, even just as a fan.  Most of the replicas simply don't look right.  For example, they put a Marty paint job on a 961 ripoff shell.  I just hate that the customer is getting a shitty quality shell, with a low quality replica paint job, but sold at a premium price point.  It's really for the customer that doesn't know what they're getting.  They are duping customers.  And being worse to the artists.  And the former players that autograph these replicas, man, they are really turning a blind eye to this! It's not even on their radar.  

Now about the IP part.  I do have one issue with it.  As a fan of the game, influenced by the big name goalies that came before me, if I want to get a Beezer replica mask to sit on a shelf and look cool in a man cave, am i just not supposed to do that?  What if I found an old Armadilla - is Don the only one that could paint it for me?  What if he doesn't want to do that, like how he doesn't want to make new masks anymore.  The interview didn't really cover this.  As a fan/customer looking to do the right thing, but wanting to (for example) add a beezer mask to my collection, what other choice do I have?  It's a bit frustrating since there's no official channel.  I would gladly pay Don to get something done (he seems like a great dude BTW), and if fact, pay more because it would be an authentic replica, but it's not even an option.

I think the successful NHL mask makers (former and current) should band together and set up an eCommerce platform to take orders for actual authentic mask replicas and offer the painting through established, verified channels, or directly (if they paint).  This has been going on for 30 years as Don mentions.  I'm sure there are real dollars at stake. If they did this, they could also pool resources and be more aggressive on the legal side.  Would love to see GMC go away.     

The part that gets overlooked with GMC is the pro goalies endorse him. As long as Felix and Marty sign his shells, it gives what he does credibility.

Unfortunately that's the problem yes, the goalies don't know it's not legit and most folks don't know it's not legit cause they think the goalies wouldn't endorse it if it wasn't on the up and up. That's why we have to educate people on the matter. It's an uphill battle for sure, but if we can at least put a dent in their profits that's a start. 

Archived