What do I need to start modding?

Matt30

I have always wanted to be able to do my own repairs or mods. However, I've never owned any gear I liked enough to repair, I've just bought new stuff instead.

Now I've got some gear I wish to extend the life of. I just don't know where to start when it comes to equipment and materials. What kind of sewing needle do I need? What kind of thread to use? 

I want to do stuff from adding new landing gear to my pads, to replacing velcro and straps/buckles.

Any information to get me started would be greatly appreciated!

+1 on the sewing awl. I've used it to repair my hockey bag and to replace the bindings on my Vaughn pads.

The thread winds onto a bobbin in the handle but I've never had much success with it feeding smoothly. Now I just cut off how much thread I need and let it hang loose through the bottom (top?) of the handle. Hope that makes sense. It should once you have one and try using it. It's not complicated but an essential tool.

Yep Speedy Stitcher is a must. I have over 10 years of use on mine and still going strong. 

If you want to build your own straps and replace Velcro etc, I highly recommend picking up a sewing machine and learning to use it - easy to do via YouTube. I am lucky that my wife has two, including a semi-industrial Singer from the 1950s and have done countless mods for my player and goalie gear. 

Thanks guys! I do have access to a sewing machine. And I will source a sewing awl in my area.

Also, what about shears? Any type better than another? All I have is household scissors and tin snips, I don't think either of them is suitable!

• 2 months later...

Archived