JRZ Fusion catcher

RichMan

As some of you might be aware, I had an issue with my JRZ stick I received for Father's Day. While making arrangements for a replacement, I inquired about their demo gear program. My one piece of gear that is a non negotiable "make-it-or-break-it" decision is the catcher. I can fiddle around with mostly any other piece but a glove HAS to fit right off the bat or you're just going to have a horrible time with it.

And so, ten days ago, I received (for a minor shipping to and from fee) the glove you see below. Now the only recent and present gloves I can compare it to are the JRZ Budaj pro-spec Prime/Reactor 9000 (now sold) and my currant regularly used Warrior SR GT.

The glove I received is NHL spec and game ready palm with a 60 degree angle. It is fairly light, not as much as my GT but much lighter than the Budaj pro-return which was pro-palm (I had difficulty closing it). Focusing on the palm, I never really had an issue with my Warrior SR level glove, maybe 2-3 stingers in the past 3 years, but the Fusion's game-ready palm version is more significant. I've never tried a pro version GT glove so I can't really make much of a comparison between a pro GT and the Fusion glove.

I managed to use it for 2 games. It might not seem like much but given the glove was already broken in, it made for a quicker analysis. 

The glove felt nice on my hand, not too big but not impossible to get into like some other big name brands I've tried. Most of my gloves over the years have pretty much been like 75 breaks. This one felt good. They say a 60 break is like a baseball glove feel. It's not so much true. The only glove that really resembled that was the D&R S4D. 

So opening/closing the glove wasn't too much a drastic change for me. (Side note, I also have used a Brian's Altra? in the past, this might relate or not, you be the guess). The Fusion felt well balanced and very well put together. The strapping (forgot to take pics) looks and felt similar to my Warrior with an added over the wrist padded strap which I never used as the over the finger portion was more than enough to keep the glove on my hand just like my Warrior. 

20210810_163037.jpg

The block on the backhand has a Warrior feel but their own design and is not a nuisance and very well thought out, especially for RVH positions or backdoor efforts. There is plenty of wrist mobility, never got in the way of my c/a arm.

20210811_100558.jpg

The basket seems soooo huge when looked at online but in reality, it's just right without exaggerating, no bigger than my Warrior GT which suits me perfectly as I prefer a shallow to mid deep basket. The skate lace is a plus as most of you will agree. The T bridge is thick and strong, much more solid than my GT, real pro level. 

20210811_100608.jpg

This next pic might have you puzzled. Straight to the point, the block is indented?, concave? dimpled? First time I ever see this and I'm guessing it's to help with puck deflections. Can't vouch for its effectiveness but it has no negative impact on its usability. Another nice personal touch of theirs.  

20210811_100640.jpg

Closure is as best as one can expect I guess. I don't have gorilla grip hands and I really didn't get any pop outs. Thankfully it was broken in. Seal on the ice was good as well. I didn't get to do much puck handling so that part will be absent. 

20210811_100659.jpg

Now, the big question: would I buy it? Between my Warrior GT (the GT2 felt better in the store) and the Fusion, I would not totally sleep on it. A solid 8/10. 

I wish I could get my hands on a Mckenney XPG1 and a Factory MAD to add to the comparison but Mckenney doesn't have a demo program. 

And don't forget that JRZ is custom made in Quebec, Quebec, Canada.

I'm sure I missed a few things so maybe other users can chime in and if anyone else has questions, I will try my best to answer. 

Edited by RichMan
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Reviving this as I am interested in a JRZ set myself.

Can anyone compare the closure and feel with Brian's G-Netik IV/V? That's my primary reference point and I like the Brian's gloves.

The backhand protection appears to be on the bulky side (maybe not dissimilar from Warrior). Does that present any issues or make the glove feel cumbersome at all?

Appreciate any feedback you guys can provide!

2 minutes ago, PhilTheGoalie said:

Reviving this as I am interested in a JRZ set myself.

Can anyone compare the closure and feel with Brian's G-Netik IV/V? That's my primary reference point and I like the Brian's gloves.

The backhand protection appears to be on the bulky side (maybe not dissimilar from Warrior). Does that present any issues or make the glove feel cumbersome at all?

Appreciate any feedback you guys can provide!

Last time I tried a Brian's glove was the Airlite way back. I'm sure they've changed quite a bit since then.

The back hand gave me zero issues. In fact it was a good welcome for post hugging situations and when reaching into scrambles to freeze the puck. It looks bigger, yes, but felt no different than my Warrior GT. It's a dome like cover, not overly thick or bulky. 

That's interesting. I have been playing in G-Netik IV for a couple of years. I've handled the V a couple of times, but haven't played in it. It felt a little different, but not drastically. I thought it felt pretty nice with good closure. I've had no issues with protection in my IV glove at all.

It sounds like it's probably worth getting my hands on a demo set of the JRZ gear.