Quicktach toe system

Vanniek71

I have had various sets of bungee toe ties throughout the years and liked certain aspects of all of them. I decided I was going to combine those aspects and make something faster and more reliable for myself. None of the ideas I used were invented by me, but I combined them all to make something I haven't seen/tried before. I did this in the past and really liked how it performed, but it needed improvements. Now this version has all the improvements except one I am still thinking about how to achieve.

The reason I revisited this style (was using Pro laces and really like them) is to save a few minutes of time, no more weaving the bungees through my skates. With the 'Rona raging about we are only allowed in the rink 15 mins before the skate, so saving as much time as possible is now a thing (I used to show up a minimum of an hour early to stretch, warm up, do visual training etc.). Also I upgraded to some V9 pads and Pro Laces won't easily go on there without a new toe bridge anyways!

Concept:

The bridge is a tab style attachment that mounts to the pad in place of the stock toe bridge

The bungees stay on the skate permanently and interfaces with the pad via a tab. No removal needed

That way when I put my pads on, I don't have to lace the bungees through my skates each time, I simply insert the tab in to the toe bridge and squeeze it together and I'm good to go.

Pics:

Stock V9 bridges - oddest bridges I have ever seen on a pad

IMG_0272.jpg.732a87c24c42d9e1ecb6b677a89b925e.jpg

New "tab" style bridges - This pic was before I punched the mounting holes through them

RenderedImage.JPG.4cc9996570ae5392dca5f76fa94c2e6d.JPG

Mounted to the pad - just reuse the stock T nuts and hardware

IMG_0274.jpg.4c37c6a99b57e5814255b3f62fcb589d.jpg

Open and ready to accept the skate "tab"

IMG_0275.jpg.17c9518547b6b8d32fafb4a33fe66b9c.jpg

Skate tabs

IMG_0273.jpg.b78399f6865f69e728eb8a73b477f3c2.jpg

Attached to the pad - excuse the crooked sewing being a concept and all, I just wanted functionality. Once I hash it all out, I'll make a "betterer" set lol

IMG_0276(1).jpg.249902b5d9692b441332795716cc954d.jpg

How it all interfaces together

IMG_0277(1).jpg.d0a058be936c64469352da0f31669eb6.jpg

Edited by Vanniek71
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, beansbats said:

Nice job!  Let us know how it goes when you get them on the ice.  How did you attach the cord to the skate at the back end?  I might have to try making a set of these.

-steve 

They work great, I've used a variation of this before:

I just took everything I that didn't work quite right for me and came up with this new set. You can see in that last post how the cords are attached to the skate, but I'm not sure I like just having those attaching it. Going to work on something to attach it better to the skate, thinking about integrating the Lundy loop that comes on skates now for that purpose.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Vanniek71 said:

I have had various sets of bungee toe ties throughout the years and liked certain aspects of all of them. I decided I was going to combine those aspects and make something faster and more reliable for myself. None of the ideas I used were invented by me, but I combined them all to make something I haven't seen/tried before. I did this in the past and really liked how it performed, but it needed improvements. Now this version has all the improvements except one I am still thinking about how to achieve.

The reason I revisited this style (was using Pro laces and really like them) is to save a few minutes of time, no more weaving the bungees through my skates. With the 'Rona raging about we are only allowed in the rink 15 mins before the skate, so saving as much time as possible is now a thing (I used to show up a minimum of an hour early to stretch, warm up, do visual training etc.). Also I upgraded to some V9 pads and Pro Laces won't easily go on there without a new toe bridge anyways!

Concept:

The bridge is a tab style attachment that mounts to the pad in place of the stock toe bridge

The bungees stay on the skate permanently and interfaces with the pad via a tab. No removal needed

That way when I put my pads on, I don't have to lace the bungees through my skates each time, I simply insert the tab in to the toe bridge and squeeze it together and I'm good to go.

Pics:

Stock V9 bridges - oddest bridges I have ever seen on a pad

IMG_0272.jpg.732a87c24c42d9e1ecb6b677a89b925e.jpg

New "tab" style bridges - This pic was before I punched the mounting holes through them

RenderedImage.JPG.4cc9996570ae5392dca5f76fa94c2e6d.JPG

Mounted to the pad - just reuse the stock T nuts and hardware

IMG_0274.jpg.4c37c6a99b57e5814255b3f62fcb589d.jpg

Open and ready to accept the skate "tab"

IMG_0275.jpg.17c9518547b6b8d32fafb4a33fe66b9c.jpg

Skate tabs

IMG_0273.jpg.b78399f6865f69e728eb8a73b477f3c2.jpg

Attached to the pad - excuse the crooked sewing being a concept and all, I just wanted functionality. Once I hash it all out, I'll make a "betterer" set lol

IMG_0276(1).jpg.249902b5d9692b441332795716cc954d.jpg

How it all interfaces together

IMG_0277(1).jpg.d0a058be936c64469352da0f31669eb6.jpg

Great build. You are obviously a very talented modder! I like the name too.

Only thought/question - is the weaving of the elastic even necessary with this style attachment? Couldn’t you just do a small loop of elastic in the toe hole since you are leaving it permanently attached? Might help avoid and entanglements and it would be less exposed elastic cord to possibly be cut by a skate blade during play.

Just a thought. Either way, well done!

2 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Great build. You are obviously a very talented modder! I like the name too.

Only thought/question - is the weaving of the elastic even necessary with this style attachment? Couldn’t you just do a small loop of elastic in the toe hole since you are leaving it permanently attached? Might help avoid and entanglements and it would be less exposed elastic cord to possibly be cut by a skate blade during play.

Just a thought. Either way, well done!

I’m not 100% sure tbh, I haven’t ever tried a short loop.

I do know when the cordage is shorter you don’t get as much stretch as you do with longer cordage. I’ve found the way I have it now allows for less tension when the cord stretches because there is more to allow that stretch along the length than if the cord was shorter.

Ive never had an issue with skate cuts in the cords, the only time I’ve had to replace one is because my dog chewed one in half LOL

14 hours ago, Vanniek71 said:

I’m not 100% sure tbh, I haven’t ever tried a short loop.

I do know when the cordage is shorter you don’t get as much stretch as you do with longer cordage. I’ve found the way I have it now allows for less tension when the cord stretches because there is more to allow that stretch along the length than if the cord was shorter.

Ive never had an issue with skate cuts in the cords, the only time I’ve had to replace one is because my dog chewed one in half LOL

Yes, that’s a good point. I guess it all depends on the size/elasticity of the cord you’re using. I brought up the skate cuts because when I used a similar diy cord system (attached to the pads, not your quick release) I did indeed have mine get cut during pickup. I started sheathing the cord in waxed lace after that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Yes, that’s a good point. I guess it all depends on the size/elasticity of the cord you’re using. I brought up the skate cuts because when I used a similar diy cord system (attached to the pads, not your quick release) I did indeed have mine get cut during pickup. I started sheathing the cord in waxed lace after that. 

Sheathing it is a good idea, ala Pro Lace armor. Might add that for just in casies!

What’s the beat way to do that? I didn’t know laces were hollow lol

Edited by Vanniek71

1 hour ago, Vanniek71 said:

Sheathing it is a good idea, ala Pro Lace armor. Might add that for just in casies!

What’s the beat way to do that? I didn’t know laces were hollow lol

Ha yes they are! Very easy, just cut to length plus around 10-15% depending on preference. You want them to bunch up on the relaxed cord so they expand when the cord stretches. Then just pinch the end of the cut lace on the outer edge and it’ll open up. Melt the edges with a lighter (don’t let the lace reseal itself). Then just push the cord through. Looks like you are using a stiff enough elastic that it should just slide right through to the other end. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 9:40 AM, tubby34 said:

This is a super cool concept and exactly why I like my toe hooks. I bounce back and forth between Ice and Roller with them. This looks to be the same idea and you don't have to worry about running the bungees every time. Pretty much once you find your fit, its consistent.

I'd probably still be wearing toe hooks if they didn't break half the time. But this post gave me something to consider