Designing a balanced workout plan

Hey gang,

In addition to various new gear meanderings, I've been thinking a lot lately about how to plan an ideal workout routine that covers all the bases I need for goalie, but also life outside of that (which does exist, I think?). Curious how all of you plan your workouts outside of games and what goals you go for.

Right now, it looks like I'll be on ice about three hours a week (two days), so I'd like to have:

• A flexibility and recovery day (yoga/stretching/foam rolling)
  • A strength day (big lifts at the gym, lower weight but higher reps); and
  • A stamina/plyometrics kind of day

Anything you'd suggest for any of those? Definitely added a few lbs over COVID, so it would be good to drop some of those too while I'm at it. Thanks all!

• Like 2

IMO

If you're looking to improve performance in net, think of what exercises you are doing and how they translate to what we need to do on ice
Everything in your body is connected, and strength training isn't just building muscle, but also training your body to recruit supporting muscle groups in a specific movement.
Foam rolling is a supplement to your routine, not a routine in itself.  You can use it to release tightened up muscle or fascia or post-workout to help flush and cool down.

Flexibility needs to be trained daily, or every other day if you just got off an intense session.  You can pump out a quick 20 min circuit at home. 
For this, look up Functional Range Conditioning and some of the exercises associated with it.  Warmup isn't really necessary as it's pretty challenging on its own.
Key concepts are gonna be Controlled Articular Rotations (CARs) and PAILs/RAILs (I'm not even gonna try to break down that acronym off memory, they're essentially modified isometric movements to build strength in a stretched position.  They suck, but they work) 
IMO it's better than yoga for our purposes as it's focused more on building strength and body control in the outer limits of our movement patterns.
If you hit a plateau, work a lax ball or foam roller to break up adhesions first, then go into your flex routine.  Might add another 10-15 mins. 
I'll typically jam this out while watching something on Netflix after dinner or before bed.

I think you should focus on strength first before plyo.  High weight low rep.  Once your strength floor improves, your plyo movements will become more explosive.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

IMO

If you're looking to improve performance in net, think of what exercises you are doing and how they translate to what we need to do on ice
Everything in your body is connected, and strength training isn't just building muscle, but also training your body to recruit supporting muscle groups in a specific movement.
Foam rolling is a supplement to your routine, not a routine in itself.  You can use it to release tightened up muscle or fascia or post-workout to help flush and cool down.

Flexibility needs to be trained daily, or every other day if you just got off an intense session.  You can pump out a quick 20 min circuit at home. 
For this, look up Functional Range Conditioning and some of the exercises associated with it.  Warmup isn't really necessary as it's pretty challenging on its own.
Key concepts are gonna be Controlled Articular Rotations (CARs) and PAILs/RAILs (I'm not even gonna try to break down that acronym off memory, they're essentially modified isometric movements to build strength in a stretched position.  They suck, but they work) 
IMO it's better than yoga for our purposes as it's focused more on building strength and body control in the outer limits of our movement patterns.
If you hit a plateau, work a lax ball or foam roller to break up adhesions first, then go into your flex routine.  Might add another 10-15 mins. 
I'll typically jam this out while watching something on Netflix after dinner or before bed.

I think you should focus on strength first before plyo.  High weight low rep.  Once your strength floor improves, your plyo movements will become more explosive.

Amazing advice! Thanks so much.

11 hours ago, indykrap said:

Amazing advice! Thanks so much.

For sure, glad I could help a little bit.  I've harped on it in other threads, and it's a good thing you noticed being sedentary during Covid had an impact on how you feel now.

Be careful the first few times out with your new routine as your body needs to adapt to it after such a long time off and you've added a few lbs. Worst thing you can do is go into this with a belly full of fire and come back out of the gym 5 mins later with an injury.

Consistency is most important.  Even on days you don't feel motivated, drive your butt to the gym anyway and do some weight assisted stretching, hip traction exercises with a resistance band or something that you can't do at home.

One thing I heard in a podcast recently is that top athletes don't always enjoy the process, but they are addicted to the results. 

Good luck and feel free to reach out with any questions if you feel like I can assist more.

Last fall season I was skating out in a game. I got tripped and would have gone head first into the boards at full (my full) speed. Last second I turned my head and took the hit on my neck and clavicle. For MONTHS I moved slow because everything hurt. Then, as the healing was almost done, I went and got my vaccination. STUPID IDEA! I had a reaction that destroyed my immune system. Started out I had all the Covid symptoms except taste lost. With everything compromised, I caught your standard cold, but it put my on my ass. In total, I spent almost 8 months doing nothing.

Last week I went back to my coaching role and found out that I can't demonstrate most things anymore because I can't breathe. So trying to talk people through what I want them to do while I'm showing them how to do it. Went to the grocery store today (first time as I had been ordering everything) and I was winded walking from my truck to the store. Just covered in sweat, can't breathe, people walking WAY around me because I look like a plague carrier about to turn zombie.

So for as far as what I am planning to do for workouts? Right now it's just walking. I walk as far as I can, to right when I'm about to pass out or throw up or both and then I go home. I did a quarter mile today!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

For sure, glad I could help a little bit.  I've harped on it in other threads, and it's a good thing you noticed being sedentary during Covid had an impact on how you feel now.

Be careful the first few times out with your new routine as your body needs to adapt to it after such a long time off and you've added a few lbs. Worst thing you can do is go into this with a belly full of fire and come back out of the gym 5 mins later with an injury.

Consistency is most important.  Even on days you don't feel motivated, drive your butt to the gym anyway and do some weight assisted stretching, hip traction exercises with a resistance band or something that you can't do at home.

One thing I heard in a podcast recently is that top athletes don't always enjoy the process, but they are addicted to the results. 

Good luck and feel free to reach out with any questions if you feel like I can assist more.

Oh yeah. Fortunately I've been able to keep reasonably active with weights at home, so the transition back to the gym over the last few months has been pretty okay. Ice has been a different story, with flexibility and stamina definitely taking a hit, so I definitely appreciate the suggestions to get that back!

5 hours ago, loki1416 said:

Last fall season I was skating out in a game. I got tripped and would have gone head first into the boards at full (my full) speed. Last second I turned my head and took the hit on my neck and clavicle. For MONTHS I moved slow because everything hurt. Then, as the healing was almost done, I went and got my vaccination. STUPID IDEA! I had a reaction that destroyed my immune system. Started out I had all the Covid symptoms except taste lost. With everything compromised, I caught your standard cold, but it put my on my ass. In total, I spent almost 8 months doing nothing.

Last week I went back to my coaching role and found out that I can't demonstrate most things anymore because I can't breathe. So trying to talk people through what I want them to do while I'm showing them how to do it. Went to the grocery store today (first time as I had been ordering everything) and I was winded walking from my truck to the store. Just covered in sweat, can't breathe, people walking WAY around me because I look like a plague carrier about to turn zombie.

So for as far as what I am planning to do for workouts? Right now it's just walking. I walk as far as I can, to right when I'm about to pass out or throw up or both and then I go home. I did a quarter mile today!

Damn man, that sounds rough. I'm sorry to hear it! Glad you're getting back up and moving though.